OpenSDA dead on FRDM-KL25Z board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSDA dead on FRDM-KL25Z board

coryf
Contributor II

Hello all, this is my first post.  Let me start by saying thank you in advance for the help!

I just got my FRDM-KL25Z board in the mail.  I plugged it into the PC (using the OpenSDA USB) and everything seemed to load okay.  The factory program started and the green LED (D4) started to flash.  Then I unplugged the board and plugged it in using the KL25Z USB and the program stated just as it did before.

All was good, I thought, then I went to update the bootloader so that I could program my first program using Kinetis Design Studio, BUT that is when everything went bad...  When I plugged in the OpenSDA USB with the RESET button pressed nothing happened, the green LED didn't flash no activity at all, releasing the RESET button after 20 seconds stared the factory application.  I removed the USB and plugged it back in (still in OpenSDA connection) this time without the RESET button.  The factory application stated right away as expected, but nothing mounted in Windows 7.

Here is what I have now...  The OpenSDA USB port does not blink the green LED (D4) nor does anything appear at all in Device Manager with or without the RESET button; using the ML25Z USB connection there is a "USB-UART" device that I can not find any drivers for.  I hope my brand new FRDM-KL25Z board is not already bricked.  Is there anyway to bring live back to the OpenSDA connection?

-CoryF

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

yasuhikokoumoto
Senior Contributor I

Hi Cory Frey,

which bootloader had you applied?
Was it "Pemicro_OpenSDA_Debug_MSD_Update_Apps_2014_06_27.zip" which could be downloaded from http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/ ?
Did you use "BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA" in the archive?
If you had done so, I cannot understand why it had gone wrong.

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

0 Kudos

coryf
Contributor II

I got it to start working!!!

I got the scope out to see what was going on in the hardware.  I was poking around the Y2 crystal and then all the sudden the green LED came on, and my laptop started making noise as it recognized the hardware.  I am not sure, what happened but I have to assume there was no XTAL signal to the K20 processor so it never started running its code.  Once the crystal started working again the code started running.

All seems to be working now.  Just thought I would answer this here so that if someone else ever has the same problem they can reference this.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Cory,

were you poking with the scope around the Y2 crystal? It seems you have a hardware/board issue. Connecting the scope to the crystal lines will impact the capacitance around it, and it seems that somehow your clock circuit on the board is out of bounds for normal operation.

Have you tried with a second board (if you have one?). You might consider to return your board as this looks like a board defect.

Erich

0 Kudos

coryf
Contributor II

Yes there is definitely an issue with the Y2 oscillator.  I submitted an RMA with the retailer and there is a new board on the way.  For now I will just keep it plugged in and powered up because once it is running everything seems to be okay.

-CoryF

0 Kudos