cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSJTAG on TWR-K60

Jump to solution
MikeRC
Contributor III

Has anyone been able to get the virtual serial port to work through the OSJTAG connection?  I can't seem to get it to work.  I figured that it would show up as another COMx port and that I would be able to use Hyperterminal, but that is not the case.  Please respong if you have had any luck using the OSJTAG virtual serial port either inside of Eclipse or through Hyperterminal.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MikeRC
Contributor III

In case anyone wants to know, I figured it out.  If you install the P&E Micro Tower Toolkit, there are two utilities that you can use to access the Virtual COM port.  The first tool is the Terminal program from that install.  It is similar to Hyperterminal, except in the PORT drop down you should see USB COM.  That is the virtual serial port through the OSJTAG.  You can also open the Serial Redirector, and there are instructions on how to forward the Virtual port to another serial port, so it shows up as a normal COMx port.  This makes it so that you can use your own tools or hyperterminal to connect to the virtual serial port.

I wish P&E Micro made it so that the Virtual COM port just showed up as a standard COM port.  It is a bit of a pain to jump through these hoops just to be able to use the COM port.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeRC
Contributor III

In case anyone wants to know, I figured it out.  If you install the P&E Micro Tower Toolkit, there are two utilities that you can use to access the Virtual COM port.  The first tool is the Terminal program from that install.  It is similar to Hyperterminal, except in the PORT drop down you should see USB COM.  That is the virtual serial port through the OSJTAG.  You can also open the Serial Redirector, and there are instructions on how to forward the Virtual port to another serial port, so it shows up as a normal COMx port.  This makes it so that you can use your own tools or hyperterminal to connect to the virtual serial port.

I wish P&E Micro made it so that the Virtual COM port just showed up as a standard COM port.  It is a bit of a pain to jump through these hoops just to be able to use the COM port.

0 Kudos
cfgmgr
Contributor III

In a similar vein, I just wish that there was some way to redirect the TWR-K60 printf() statements (e.g. stdout) to the IAR "terminal window"so that I wouldn't have to run any external app or use any serial COM port.   Can anyone shed some light on how to do that?  

0 Kudos
tmf
Contributor I

I had the PE Micro redirector working, then I ran CW10.1 for the PK60 Cortex M4 part and it upgraded the JTAG firmware to version 29.00 now the redirector does not work....... any thoughts? This occured when I went to debug and it said the firmware on the tower CPU card was old and needed to be upgraded.

R.

0 Kudos
anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

tmf: Make sure you have the latest version of the firmware and terminal utility program. There's some incompatiblities with some versions of each, so the best way to make sure everything works is to have the latest. That can be downloaded from http://pemicro.com/osbdm   I've attached the latest version of the K60 Lab Guide that walks through how to do it. See Section 3.

0 Kudos
MikeAdv
Contributor III

I spent a lot of time fighting this and just thought I'd post my $0.02.

I reinstalled the drivers as mentioned above.  That was a bit of a painful process of uninstalling, rebooting, and re-installing.  

I started trying to use Eterlogix VSPE as mentioned in the PE micro serial re-director program.  I never did get the serial redirect to work with VSPE.

I ended up trying com0com, and that seemed to do the trick.  

0 Kudos