OM23221ARD: NTAG I2C plus kit with FRDM-KW41Z

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OM23221ARD: NTAG I2C plus kit with FRDM-KW41Z

steve9
Contributor III

I am using the OM23221ARD: NTAG I2C plus kit with a FRDM-KW41Z board. According to the pinout, the NFC energy-harvesting output VOUT is routed to the P5-9VIN pin on the KW41Z Arduino header. As the output voltage from the NFC energy harvesting pin on the I2C antenna is likely to be in the region of 2.7v, that would seem to be insufficient to power the KW41Z via the P5-9VIN pin. Am I right, or is there a way of powering the KW41Z via the I2C plus shield?

I know that I AM able to power the KW41Z board from the I2C antenna if I connect VOUT to J18 and set J23 accordingly but that requires an extra wire from the I2C board.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

You could connect the Vout to the MCU and power it but, do you want to power the complete board? Also, how will you generate the field? Will it be with a phone??

Please consider that there is a limit of the power delivered by the NTAG I2C, in ideal conditions the energy harvesting feature delivers up to 15 mW out of NFC field to power (parts of) host system, but it will depend on how you will generate the field and the system. For more details about this, please check the datasheet and this application note. 

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

steve9
Contributor III

My question is not how to power the board but whether you could ever power the KW41Z board with 2.7v max into the P5-9VIN pin since that pin is the input to a low dropout regulator and requires at least 5v.

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

No, that pin it's from 5 to 9

The FRDM-KW41Z can be powered by the following means:

• Through the micro USB type B connector (J6), which provides 5V to the P5V_USB signal into the 3V3 LDO (U17)
  • Through the Freedom development board headers, which provide either P3.3V or P5-9V_VIN on header J3 pin-8 to LDO 3V3 (U17)
  • From an external battery (Coin-cell – BT500)
  • From an external DC supply in the following ways: o Connect an adapter that can supply 1.8 to 3.6 VDC to J19 pins using the selector J23 pin 2-3 o Connect an unregulated external supply (of up to 5.5 VDC) to J19 pin 1 and the GND pin to use the on board 3.3 V LDO regulator (using the selector J23 pin 1-2)

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos