Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for bigger Flash. I have K20DX256VMD10

Jump to solution
cavebiker
Contributor V

Dear freescale experts,

I'm ready to release some cool products that use a MK20DX256VMD10 but at the last minute I'm told I need to ship it with a bootloader. Two of my projects are too big for the bootloader to fit with the application using 256K of Flash. What I'm looking for is the smoothest path to port my existing code with minimal changes to the next bigger K20 part.

-->My research shows that the MK20FX512VMD12 is the part. I'm using SPI, USB , onboard EEPROM and a bunch of IO.

-->Is the MK20FX512VMD12 the part for me? Or is there another part that would make my life smoother?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Tom

1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Tom Junkans:

The natural upgrade for your MK20DX256VMD10 in terms of memory space would be the MK20DN512VMD10. However since this one does not have FlexNVM memory (for EEPROM emulation) then you are correct in changing to a different family.

Regarding the drivers, I think you are confused. FTFE and FTFL are different flash memory modules, with slightly different sets of commands and features. Those types have nothing to do with having or not EEPROM (FlexNVM). In fact both kinds of module can integrate FlexNVM depending on the specific MCU (parts with 'X' in the name have FlexNVM).

Now, for using the MK60FN1M0VMD12 BSP, the standard FlashX driver does not implement FlexNVM support, so you need to add it. Colleague Radek provides the guidelines on how to do so in the next document:

MQX FlashX driver – how to write FlexNVM?

I hope this helps.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cavebiker
Contributor V

I am trying to develope a BSP for the MK20FX512VMD12 part by starting with the example BSP for the MK60FN1M0VMD12 part, as recommended on the freescale website.

Question: Is there any app notes out there that can help me port over the EEPROM drivers to a non-EEPROM BSP? Namely switching from the flash_ftfe drivers to the EEPROM flash_ftfl drivers? I'm battling with this now and a little help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
cavebiker
Contributor V

Does anyone know the proper way to include the EEPROM driver to a CW10.5 (flash_tftl). I'm starting with a K60F120M project? I am using MQX4.1 :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Tom Junkans:

The natural upgrade for your MK20DX256VMD10 in terms of memory space would be the MK20DN512VMD10. However since this one does not have FlexNVM memory (for EEPROM emulation) then you are correct in changing to a different family.

Regarding the drivers, I think you are confused. FTFE and FTFL are different flash memory modules, with slightly different sets of commands and features. Those types have nothing to do with having or not EEPROM (FlexNVM). In fact both kinds of module can integrate FlexNVM depending on the specific MCU (parts with 'X' in the name have FlexNVM).

Now, for using the MK60FN1M0VMD12 BSP, the standard FlashX driver does not implement FlexNVM support, so you need to add it. Colleague Radek provides the guidelines on how to do so in the next document:

MQX FlashX driver – how to write FlexNVM?

I hope this helps.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
cavebiker
Contributor V

Perfect, just what I was looking for.

A thousand thanks Jorge.

Cheers,

Tom