NXP roadmap confusion: which IDE and SDK?

取消
显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 

NXP roadmap confusion: which IDE and SDK?

3,452 次查看
jerrylian
Contributor IV

I am new to NXP and its Kinetis micro-controller, so I hope to ride on the right track at the beginning.

It seems that NXP is planning a lot now, and I am confused:

* What is the best IDE?

--- CodeWarrior is deprecated.

--- KDS is now available.

--- MCUXpresso-IDE is coming this month.

* What is difference between KDS and MCUXpresso-IDE?

--- KSDK-v2 (MCUXpresso-SDK) is now supported in KDS.

--- But what will happen after MCUXpresso-IDE is released?

So confused, hope NXP guys can make some clarification!

Thanks!

Jerry

7 回复数

1,561 次查看
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jerry,

the list of supported devices is here: https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-333073 

Basically everything which is supported by the MCUXpresso SDK v2.x is supported.

Erich

0 项奖励

1,561 次查看
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Hi, Alice:

* Yes I can wait MCUXpresso-IDE. Is it really coming out by the end of this month?

* For my project, I am interested in ADC data sampling, up to 16-24 channels.

--- And I also need USB/Ethernet for data transfer.

--- Probably LCD for status information.

* But why NXP needs both KDS and MCUXpresso-IDE?

What is the fundamental difference between them?

Thanks!

Jerry

0 项奖励

1,560 次查看
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jerry,

MCUXpresso IDE will come out end of this month.

MCUXpresso is the new NXP Eclipse based IDE going forward, for both Kinetis and LPC devices, and is recommended for new designs and projects. It is free-of-charge, with unlimited code size, supports OpenSDA, P&E, Segger and LPC-Link/LPC-Link2 (CMSIS-DAP) with automatic probe discovery, featues the MCUXpresso SDK with wizards and package manager, and comes with advanced features like FreeRTOS thread and Kernel Awareness, Live Variable view, enhanced expressions view, Peripherals+ view, and SWO and MTB/ETB trace (see Embedded World Nürnberg 2017 Impressions: MCUXpresso, Hexiwear, NTAG, LPC800-DIP and Alan Hawse | MC... ).

From a KDS point of view, MCUXpresso is a 'power-up' of KDS, or 'LPCXpresso on steroids'. It does not include Processor Expert or the GNU ARM Eclipse plugins with the install, but they can be added if needed.

There should be no confusion: The MCUXpresso IDE is the successor of both Kinetis Design Studio and LPCXpresso, and it fully embraces the MCUXpresso SDK (formerly named Kinetis SDK, but now it includes LPC devices too).

For sure I plan to write blog articles and tutorials for it as soon it is available.

I hope this helps.

Erich

0 项奖励

1,562 次查看
jerrylian
Contributor IV

Hi, Erich:

Yes, users are happy with one IDE/SDK, instead of confusing choices.

By the way, do you know if TWR-K53N512 is going to be supported in new MCUXpresso-IDE/SDK ?

Thanks!

Jerry

0 项奖励

1,562 次查看
vignesh_vb_7
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,

Why there is a lot of confusion about IDE's, sometime back KDS was replacing CodeWarrior and now MCUXpresso is replacing KDS. What is the reason to change IDE's constantly?.

1,562 次查看
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vignesh,

To be clear: you can continue to use whatever IDE you are using for your projects (CodeWarrior, KDS, LPCXpresso). The main reason is that it does not make sense to develop and maintain three IDE's targeting the same microcontrollers, with all the technologies NXP (and Freescale) has aquired over the years. Instead of having three, there will be the MCUXpresso IDE going forward. I hope that makes sense.

Best regards,

Erich

0 项奖励

1,562 次查看
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jerry,

1.  MCUXpresso is the new IDE for kinetis , when develop application on it , we need use KSDK.

from now on , the  updates and the new  produces will all support by this IDE. If you can wait the

release time , i recommend you use this IDE .

KDS also support KSDK. for some kinetis chips , it also support Processor Expert , and if you use

KDS or CW, we  also provide technical support .

2.  KDS and MCUXpresso all base on Eclipse , so there are more same points between them .

Please refer to your requirement choosing IDE, or you can also tell me your requirement ,

then I help you choose.

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice Yang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 项奖励