cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiplexing JTAG and EZport Pins In CPLD

Jump to solution
kevinkirspel
Contributor I

In my system I will have 2 processors.  An iMX6 host processor for the GUI and a Kinetis K10 for real-time processing.  The iMX6 will be able to program the K10 through the EZPORT interface.  I will also be using a Segger J-link with the K10.  On the K10, there are 3 JTAG pins that are multiplexed with EZPORT pins.  I was going to route these pins through a CPLD which would have logic to switch these signals between the iMX6 and the Segger J-Link.  By default the pins will be switched to the J-link.  If the iMX6 wants to program the K10, it will switch the pins using one of its DIO pins.  Does anyone see a problem with this?  I have attached a diagram to illustrate the idea.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dekiru
Contributor IV

Hi Kevin,

I think that there is not any problem with multiplexing pins using this method, but there are some points you should consider:

- Jlink supports both JTAG and SWD (SWD using 2 pins only). If you use SWD instead of JTAG, there is only one shared pin.

- Unless you use CPLD for something else already, it is not cost effective to use CPLD just for multiplex 1-3 pins.

- EzPort requires reset circle so do not forget to design it in a way that you can control reset pin of K10

- I am not sure if you had a look at Vybrid platform or not but Vybrid can help to reduce cost and size of the system where both realtime app and rich user interface are needed.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dekiru
Contributor IV

Hi Kevin,

I think that there is not any problem with multiplexing pins using this method, but there are some points you should consider:

- Jlink supports both JTAG and SWD (SWD using 2 pins only). If you use SWD instead of JTAG, there is only one shared pin.

- Unless you use CPLD for something else already, it is not cost effective to use CPLD just for multiplex 1-3 pins.

- EzPort requires reset circle so do not forget to design it in a way that you can control reset pin of K10

- I am not sure if you had a look at Vybrid platform or not but Vybrid can help to reduce cost and size of the system where both realtime app and rich user interface are needed.

Regards

0 Kudos
kevinkirspel
Contributor I

I already have a CPLD for other things so it cost me nothing to add this functionality.  I will look into the Vybrid platform.

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Actually, in my understanding , the function of the CPLD can be replaced  by some jumpers, since JTAG and EZport can not be used in the same time.

0 Kudos