cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK21 XTAL32 and Dryice questions

PHXFAE
Contributor II

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to replace the 32KHz crystal with a MEMS crystal oscillator for the XTAL32 input for the RTC on this device?

2. Does the dryice require the XTAL32 clock to run if we just want the 32bytes of battery ram?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alex,

1.   I think a MEMS crystal oscillator as a external 32KHz clock source (oscillator) should works with RTC module.

I do a test with TWR-K40X256 board, using external signal generator output 32KHz clock as RTC reference clock input to EXTAL32 pin, and the RTC module works as expected.

2. The DryICE module clock source from RTC clock source, which still need external 32KHz clock when do any operation with DryICE module.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

PHXFAE
Contributor II

1.  Just to be clear, you connected the signal generator to the XTAL32 pin correct, not the EXTAL32 pin?  Can you please tell me the signal level you used and the VCC you were using for the K40 board?

2. You are saying that the RTC clock MUST be used when doing anything with DryICE, correct?

Thx for the help.

0 Kudos

PHXFAE
Contributor II

I'm sorry. but I change the names around on number 1 above.  The question should read -.Just to be clear, you connected the signal generator to the EXTAL32 pin correct, not the XTAL32 pin?  Can you please tell me the signal level you used and the VCC you were using for the K40 board?

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1.In fact, I had tested to connect external signal generator 32.768KHz clock to EXTAL32 and XTAL32 separately. The RTC module could work as expected.

While, for the EXTAL32 pin is input, we suggest customer to connect external clock source to EXTAL32 pin.

2. That's right.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos