Kinetis internal EEPROM Step-by-Step Usuage and Maintenance?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis internal EEPROM Step-by-Step Usuage and Maintenance?

leehonaker
Contributor I

I want to use a small block of EEPROM for NVM purposes in my design, but after reading many app notes and discussions on the subject, I still don't have a clear understanding of the process flow. I understand how to partition, write, and read the EEPROM data, but what other steps are required?

I plan to use a 1/8 split of 1024 bytes of data. 128 bytes of the split are to be used for system settings, the other bytes are for future use. So, with a fresh part, what do I do initially after power on, and then with subsequent power cycling? I do not see that information explained in context anywhere. I have seen references to initializing the flash before and after partitioning in some instances of code, but none of this is really explained in the Reference Manuals or APP Note AN4282.

Please explain the necessary steps for the initial sequence with some level of detail and please do not refer me to any example code. Also the steps after power cycling the device. I just want the steps that are applicable to the MK60FX512. For example:

1) What needs to be done prior to partitioning? Do I erase FLASH? All the FLASH? How do I do this?

2) After partitioning, what do I need to do before I start using the EEPROM?

3) After power cycling, what do I need to do? What is the best way to not repeat unnecessary initialization steps?

Thanks in advance for any help with question!

Lee

0 Kudos
3 Replies

leehonaker
Contributor I

Jeremy,

Thanks for your clarifications! I have a follow-on question. After partitioning, do I simply Read and Write the FlexRAM space that is allocated to the EEPROM, or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again,

Lee

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Honaker,

The remainder of the FlexRAM is not accessible while the FlexRAM is configured for EEPROM.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.

1) What needs to be done prior to partitioning? Do I erase FLASH? All the FLASH? How do I do this?

Before partitioning, you'd better to check out the SIM_FCFG1 register to find out that the device whether had already been      partitioned or not.

2) After partitioning, what do I need to do before I start using the EEPROM?

You definitely can read or write the EEPROM area after partitioning successful.

3) After power cycling, what do I need to do? What is the best way to not repeat unnecessary initialization steps?

In the subsequently power cycling, you needn't to do additional initialization after partitioning successful.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos