KV58: is RMII clock supported on ENET_1588_CLKIN

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KV58: is RMII clock supported on ENET_1588_CLKIN

iainristmt
Contributor I

I want to run my microcontroller with the system clock derived from EXTAL and the RMII clock sourced from ENET_1588_CLKIN. I cannot run with a 50 MHz clock attached to EXTAL due to system requirements.

The KV58 reference manual inlcludes the following contradictory statements:

1. RMII clock source is tied to EXTAL:
    • Section 51.1.2 states that RMII_REF_CLK is internally tied to EXTAL.
  2. RMII clock source is configurable:
    • Section 6.5.9 and Table 11-26 state that the RMII clock source can be EXTAL or ENET_1588_CLKIN, selected via SIM_SOPT2[RMIISRC].

Which one is it? Can I have the microcontroller system clock derived from EXTAL and have the RMII clock sourced from a 50 MHz clock attached to ENET_1588_CLKIN?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

imferreira
Contributor I

Hello,

Is there any update to clarify this contradiction on the reference manual?

1. RMII clock source is tied to EXTAL:
    • Section 51.1.2 states that RMII_REF_CLK is internally tied to EXTAL.
  2. RMII clock source is configurable:
    • Section 6.5.9 and Table 11-26 state that the RMII clock source can be EXTAL or ENET_1588_CLKIN, selected via SIM_SOPT2[RMIISRC].

I am also trying to use RMII interface clock sourced from ENET_1588_CLKIN and having issues to make works properly, then I found this contradiction on the documentation and I am wondering if it might be the cause. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Iain Rist,

The 50MHz external clock source can be connect to EXTAL pin.(The 48MHz allowable maximum clock of this source is a mistake in datasheet.)
You can refer the input clock circuit on TWR-KV58F220M:

50MHz oscillator TWR-KV58F220M.png

I am not sure if the "Section 51.1.2 states that RMII_REF_CLK is internally tied to EXTAL." is documentation error or not.
Experiments may be needed to verify feasibility.
First select PTE26 to ENET_1588_CLKIN function via PORTE_PCR26[MUX].
Then select ENET_1588_CLKIN via SIM_SOPT2[RMIISRC].
Check whether the ENET_1588_CLKIN from PTE26 is able to clock RMII.

ENET_1588_CLKIN PTE26 ALT2.png

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos