Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL02 Crystal Oscillator

DustyStew
Contributor V

HI

I'm wanting to use the MKL02Z32VFK4

I've just come across the part in the KL02 docs where they tell you it only operates with a 32KHz crystal. That was quite a surprise. I've just done a project with a K20, so I was expecting very much the same. I have not worked out the secret for finding details, given that the documentation is now designed to be somewhat device-independent. I can't seem to find what should be simple answers.

I am wondering about the repercussions. I presume this frequency can be multiplied up? What is the maximum crystal-controlled operating frequency? Is there a code example someone could provide?

I presume it is still possible to use an external oscillator to feed in a higher frequency?

What are the pros and cons of using a low-frequency (kHz) crystal rather than a MHz crystal?

Might I be better off using a different KL MCU, if I want to run that MCU at max clock rate, with a crystal-controlled oscillator?

Thx

Tom

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

DustyStew
Contributor V

BTW looking at the circuit for the KL02 Freedom board, I see they have a 32k768 xtal with a 10M resistor and 2x12pF caps. I am wondering why the designer used these parts, because according to the docs for the OSC, the only valid mode is low power/low frequency, where no external caps and resistors is required. There are internal caps that will do 12pF in any case.

Any ideas? I am putting a crystal and a resistor on the board, need to wrap this one up so I can make some!

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

KL02 MCG module is different with K20. KL02 only with FLL, without PLL. The FLL reference clock frequency is 32KHz.
That's why KL02 system oscillator only connect 32~40KHz external clock.
KL02 FLL is same with K20, which can multiple reference clock frequency and generate up to 48MHz clock output.

The FRDM-KL02Z oscillator circuit with load capactior and feedback resistor, while which with "DNP" mark means "Do Not Place".
On real FRDM-KL02Z board, there without load capactior and feedback resistor, which is using connection 1 of KL02 Reference manual Figure 22-2.

Wish it helps.

0 Kudos