Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K70 I2S signals to SGTL5000

Jump to solution
chiranjeevn
Contributor III
Hi,
1) I would like to know why the Power down isolater is used for I2S signals in TWR-AUDIO-SGTL schematic.
since i m designing a board using SGTL5000 Audio codec in which I2S signal is directly driven from K70 processor and clock as well.
2) I would like to confirm using SGTL5000 Audio codec in which I2S signal and clock is directly driven from K70 processor is there is no need of separate crystal to SGTL5000? (it will work fine).please suggest any other has to be taken care while designing above circuit...
3)In k70 Tower kit,I m going to use SD card as well, the card detection will be done by this SD_CARD_PTE28 pin.But i want to understand how its get detected.?( what i understood is when we insert the SD card the respective pin get grounded and GPIO will read as pulldown hence it will get detected.please correct me if i m wrong..
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Chiranjeev,

1) I would like to know why the Power down isolater is used for I2S signals in TWR-AUDIO-SGTL schematic.
since i m designing a board using SGTL5000 Audio codec in which I2S signal is directly driven from K70 processor and clock as well.

>>>>>>>As you know both the I2S and I2C signals have to be connected between two boards for a tower system(TWR-K70 and TWR-AUDIO-SGTL), so the buffer circuit such as 74244/74245 is required to enhance the signal driving capability, if both the K70 and SGTL5000 are on the same board, the buffer circuit is unnecessary.

2) I would like to confirm using SGTL5000 Audio codec in which I2S signal and clock is directly driven from K70 processor is there is no need of separate crystal to SGTL5000? (it will work fine).please suggest any other has to be taken care while designing above circuit...

>>>>>> If you use the I2S module of K70 as master(the bit clock  I2S_SCLK and frame clock I2S_LRCLK are from K70), the SYS_MCLK clock signal  of SGTL5000 must be from I2S module of  K70 so that the bit clock/frame clock of I2S module can synchronize with SYS_MCLK. If the I2S module of K70 is slave, the I2S signals(bit clock and frame clock) are driven by SGTL5000, the SYS_MCLK clock signal can be from any source, because the I2S bit clock/frame clock are divider of SYS_MCLK in the case, they are synchronized.

3)In k70 Tower kit,I m going to use SD card as well, the card detection will be done by this SD_CARD_PTE28 pin.But i want to understand how its get detected.?( what i understood is when we insert the SD card the respective pin get grounded and GPIO will read as pulldown hence it will get detected.please correct me if i m wrong..

>>>>>Yes, you are right, when you insert SD card, one GPIO pin will be pulled down, which will trigger an interrupt.

BR

XiangJun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Chiranjeev,

>>>>>>>As you know both the I2S and I2C signals have to be connected between two boards for a tower system(TWR-K70 and TWR-AUDIO-SGTL), so the buffer circuit such as 74244/74245 is required to enhance the signal driving capability, if both the K70 and SGTL5000 are on the same board, the buffer circuit is unnecessary.

>>>>>> If you use the I2S module of K70 as master(the bit clock  I2S_SCLK and frame clock I2S_LRCLK are from K70), the SYS_MCLK clock signal  of SGTL5000 must be from I2S module of  K70 so that the bit clock/frame clock of I2S module can synchronize with SYS_MCLK. If the I2S module of K70 is slave, the I2S signals(bit clock and frame clock) are driven by SGTL5000, the SYS_MCLK clock signal can be from any source, because the I2S bit clock/frame clock are divider of SYS_MCLK in the case, they are synchronized.

>>>>>Yes, you are right, when you insert SD card, one GPIO pin will be pulled down, which will trigger an interrupt.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
chiranjeevn
Contributor III

Hi Xiangjun.rong,

Thank you for your reply!

1)  In my design also SGTL5000 and K70 are not in same board.it is connected through a connector

so could you please mention an approx. maximum trace length limit value when we want to have  a buffer circuit.

2) Could you please mention maximum trace length for RGB signals to be maintained  and when to have a buffer circuit

3)Also mention for Ethernet PHY RMII signals to K70 trace length for clock and signals

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Chiranjeev,

Regarding the buffer circuit, as you see that the output capability of the digital pins of Kinetis(Digital I/O) is 10mA for High drive strength and 2mA for low drive strength, but the input leakage current for digital pins is less than 20uA typically. so the fan out coefficient is about 2mA/20uA=100, from this perspective, buffer is unnecessary. But I think using buffer can improve the signal quality.

Regarding the maximum trace length, I have not the data, sorry.

Hope it can help you.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos