Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K66 NOR Flash Compatibility

jbrookley
Contributor I

Hello everyone!

This post ended up being longer than I expected so here's the TL;DR version:

1a)  Will Flexbus work with this chip (pinout on pg 9, read timing diagram on pg 12) ?

http://www.cypress.com/file/213346/download 

1b)  Would this be the correct wiring if this chip will work?

FLASHK66
CS#FB_CS0, FB_OE
CK#, CKFB_CLK
RWDSFB_RW
DQ[7:0]FB_D[7:0]

2a)  If it won't work with the chip in Q1, will it work with this chip (pinout on pg 8, read timing on pg 62) ?

http://www.cypress.com/file/202426/download 

2b)  Would this be the correct wiring if I'm using this chip?

FLASHK66
A[21:0]FB[21:0]
CE#FB_CS0
OE#FB_OE
WE#FB_R/W
WP#/ACC
ACC
WP#
RESET#
RY/BY#FB_BE/BWEn?
BYTE#

3)  For an application needing 64+ Mb of non-volatile RAM/Flash and wanting to minimize footprint, is there another RAM/Flash chip you'd recommend instead of the above suggestions?  L

Full post below (for those who want additional information/considerations):

I was originally looking at implementing NAND flash on a K60 but, due to changing specifications for this project, I'm transitioning to the K66 instead, which obviously doesn't support NAND flash.  It looks like I need 64+ Mb of non volatile flash and, based on what I'm reading, it sounds like our best bet is NOR Flash via the FlexBus lines.  To try and keep the footprint small, I'm looking at BGA based flash modules and came across Cypress' Hyperflash KL line.  One thing I'm not 100% sure of is if it will even be compatible (I'm guessing not as it doesn't appear to have address lines but instead communicates the address lines on the data lines).  Can anyone confirm or deny that it could work as intended on the FlexBus?  I know we can technically bitbang anything out but I'm trying to use the lines as intended without having to rewrite the code (which would obviously slowdown the communication rate). 

Below is the datasheet to the Hyperflash KL line (pinout on pg 9, read timing diagram on pg 12) :

http://www.cypress.com/file/213346/download 

If the above IS usable, I would assume I would hook it up as described below:

FLASHK66
CS#FB_CS0, FB_OE
CK#, CKFB_CLK
RWDSFB_RW

As I said above, I am fully anticipating this not working with the address being sent out on the data line but I thought I'd ask all the same. 

Failing that, we could actually use the GL-N line (or maybe a few others but these are the ones with the larger package sizes.  Below is a link to that datasheet (pinout on pg 8, read timing on pg 62):

Based on this, I assume the wiring for this chip would look like this:

FLASHK66
CE#FB_CS0
OE#FB_OE
WE#FB_R/W
WP#/ACC
ACC
WP#
RESET#
RY/BY#FB_BE/BWEn?
BYTE#

I tried to do as much research as I could before asking this question (hence it being probably longer than it needed to be so I added a TL;DR version above).  Any insight that can be provided when selecting a RAM/Flash chip based on our specifications would be appreciated.  If you think there's another chip that might better meet our needs, feel free to let me know. 

Thanks for all your help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

K66 Flexbus module doesn't support HyperFlash interface.

While, customer could check K80 QuadSPI module, which supports Spansion HyperFlash NOR memory.

More detailed info, please check here.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jbrookley
Contributor I

Hui_Ma,

Thank you for the reply! 

Unfortunately, the K80 doesn't have enough IO for our application so we'll likely have to stick with either the K26 or the K65 (if we can't use the hyperflash RAM, it's going to take up a lot of IO lines for the flexbus). 

Can you verify that the second chip would be compatible with flexbus? It's from Cypress' GL-N line.  Below is a link to that datasheet (pinout on pg 8, read timing on pg 62):

It looks like it might work but I'm not sure how to hook up some of the signals (not sure which are required and which ones are optional).  Below is how I think it would be connected:

FLASHK66
CE#FB_CS0
OE#FB_OE
WE#FB_R/W
WP#/ACC
ACC
WP#
RESET#
RY/BY#FB_BE/BWEn?
BYTE#

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The Flexbus supports Cypress S29GL064N Flash device.

Please refer below schematics about related Flash pins connection:

pastedImage_1.png

The whole board schematics could get from here:

The ColdFire MCF5208 used Flexbus module is quite similar with Kinetis product.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Mike

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos