Is there a list of micro SD cards recommended for use with the FRDM-K28F development kit operating at 1.8 Volts?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a list of micro SD cards recommended for use with the FRDM-K28F development kit operating at 1.8 Volts?

alfredo_perezgr
Contributor I

Does your company have a list of micro SD cards recommended for use with the FRDM-K28F development kit when operating at 1.8 Volts? I'm asking because trying several different micro SD card I have found that it is hit or miss finding cards that operate properly when the board is configured at 1.8 Volts (all tested cards have worked properly when the board is configured at 3.3 V, but only some of them work properly when the board is configured to 1.8 Volts). Seeing this I would like to get a list of micro SD cards recommended for this purpose by NXP.

Best regards,

Alfredo

0 Kudos
7 Replies

alfredo_perezgr
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, and that is why my question was asking for a list of recommended micro SD cards that are known to work properly at 1.8 V. I asked this because what I have experienced is that some cards work reliably when the eval board is set to 1.8 V, while others don't. Thus I want to find out if there is a list of cards that NXP has vetted to work properly at 1.8 V to purchase such cards. The reason for asking this here is that, unfortunately, talking with both Sandisk and Kingston support neither was able to provide me any commercially available card that supports 1.8 V and instead they both told me to go to their OEM or embedded divisions. I contacted NXP support to ask the same question and was pointed to them to post here to get an official answer from NXP. Thus my question.

Thanks,

Alfredo

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alfredo Perez Grovas,

Thanks a lot for your effort.

As I know, nxp side don't have the 1.8V sd card list which you want. Actually, from the SD card communication protocol, the SD card should works at 3.3V.

But you said, you meet some cards work reliably when the board is set to 1.8V.

Could you tell me what the SD card you are using? Do you check that SD card datasheet, is it really support 1.8V?

Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

alfredo_perezgr
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that. On my end what I have seen is that a couple of micro SD cards of different models have had some cards work and some not work. I have seen some Sandisk 8 and 16 GB cards that work and some cards of the same model not work for example, but I haven't found a model that works reliably across all tested cards, thus my question for a list of recommended cards. It would be really good to have such a list to be able to buy cards that we know will work at 1.8V and not have to find it by trial and error as I have been doing every time.

Having said this, I would really appreciate if NXP could officially comment on which cards they have tested to work reliably at 1.8 V so that people like me don't have to go by trial and error finding cards that do work.

Best regards,

Alfredo

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for your updated information.

I think this is mainly about the SD card type selection, so, it's better to check it with the SD card company, as you know, NXP doesn't have the SD card product, that's why NXP doesn't have the recommended SD card list. Thanks a lot for your understanding.

About the Sandisk 8 and 16 GB card, you also can check it with the sandisk side, whether they have the sd card list which can totally support the 1.8V.

If you have any NXP product problem, just let me know.

Have a great day,
kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

alfredo_perezgr
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for your reply. The reason for my post and original question is because I actually contacted both Sandisk and Kingston to find out which cards support 1.8 V operation and what I found out was the following:

1. Sandisk told me that they do not publish voltage operating range for their micro SD cards.

2. Kinston told me they have no card that provides 1.8 V support.

Looking at the SD association website. You can find the following regarding 1.8 V support:

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/index.html

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/low_voltage_signaling/index.html

But I have yet not found cards that are specified to support this. Seeing that your evaluation board supports 1.8 V and 3.3 V peration and that you include a microSD card slot in it I am thus asking NXP which cards have you tested that work reliably well at 1.8 V.

Please, do provide a list of such cards.

Best regards,

Alfredo

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alfredo,

FRDM-KL28 already power the SD card with 3.3V, please check the schematic:

pastedImage_1.png

About the Sandisk, you can check the user manual which I find from the google:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjyrOnt8c7i... 

You can find

pastedImage_3.png

About the 1.8V SD card, you still need to find it by yourself, I search the web, find this information may useful to you:

Low Voltage Signaling - SD Association 

So, maybe you can check micro SD, whether they have the LVS SD card or not.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alfredo Perez Grovas,

In my opinion, the main problem is not in the NXP kinetis chip side, it should in the SD card side.

Just take kingmax SD card as an example,

pastedImage_1.png

Even you check the SD specification, you can find this information:

pastedImage_2.png

The initialization volage is 2V to 3.6V, that's the root reason why you can't find it. This is the SD card feature, and as I know, this is the standard feature.

The K28 can work with 1.8V, but the SD card can't work.

pastedImage_3.png

So, if you want to use the SD card, you need to use the voltage at about 3V.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos