Is the TWR-KM34Z50MV3 board still supported?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the TWR-KM34Z50MV3 board still supported?

rdscliff
Contributor II

Is the TWR-KM34Z50MV3 board still supported?  The files described in the Quick Start Guide included with the board don't seem to exist.  My company wants to use a KM3x series chip in a new design and we want to get started as quickly as possible.

Trying to figure out how to develop software for this chip has resulted in a mass of confusion. Some research revealed that this was a Freescale chip that was acquired by NXP.  So which development tools to use?  MCUXpresso IDE or Codewarrior?  MCUXpresso SDK or Kinetis Design Studio?  Where can I find some sample code for the board to get me over the learning hump for a new system.  I found a demo file but it looks like it is setup to run on Codewarrior. Where is the OpenSDA Tower Toolkit referred to in the Quick Start Guide?

Should we be using a chip that has current support?

Labels (1)
14 Replies

MarMi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

please refer to code examples, documentation and low-level drivers developed specifically to support power metering applications and Kinetis-M microcontrollers:

Kinetis M bare-metal drivers and software examples released - REV 4.1.6 

KM34Z75_EXAMPLES.exe 

Bare metal drivers and examples were tested on TWR boards using IAR EWARM 7.40.7, KEIL uVision 5.15, CrossWorks 3.6, ATOLLIC TrueStudio 5.3.0 and Kinetis Design Studio 3.0.0.

Kind regards,

Martin M.

RufusVS
Contributor III

Thanks, Martin.

Earlier in this thread Kerry Zhou mentioned that you can't load KM34Z75 code into a KM34Z50 board, which is what I have, so I couldn't use the examples in that examples file.   I will look at the bare-metal drivers. though.

I may end up downloading the old versions of TrueStudio and KDS to see what they can do.

0 Kudos

MarMi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rufus,

Just tried to debug first adc_test.c example on KM34Z50 TWR Rev C using CW 10.7 and it works fine on my PC:

pastedImage_1.png

I am not aware of any reason why it should not work with the latest CW for MCU 11.0. I suggest you to start first with prepared bare metal examples and then you can use make_project.exe utility to create new project either in driver's subfolder or standalone (useful in case you use a version control system). If you are fine with 16KB space for testing then you can chose the latest IAR EWARM special edition for first evaluation - actually because those drivers are mostly macros and they compile quite efficiently you can do a lot with such size constraints (adc_test size is approx 4KB). If you decide to use IAR please change flashloader repository from Freescale to NXP.

pastedImage_7.png

If you create new project using make_project.exe and select option:

[ 5] IAR EWARM (iar_7_60)
[ 6] IAR EWARM (iar_7_60_freertos)

then new project will contain right path to the flashloader.

The TrueStudio as well as other listed toolchains in documentation shall work as well.  

I don't have KM34Z75 TWR code examples (complemented with tutorial => second download link) ported to the KM34Z50 TWR. Most of drivers functions could be compiled but you would have to create new KM34Z50 TWR project it to have right startup, vectors, memory and config files and then start adding functionality from example into such new project.  

Kind regards,

Martin M.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Clifton Shak,

TWR-KM34Z50MV3 is too old, the sample can't find in the nxp official website now, actually, that sample code just contains few projects.

If you want to use KM34, I suggest you to consider the TWR-KM34Z75M, this board have the SDK code package, there has a lot of the projects. You can use IAR, MDK, KDS or MCUXpresso IDE.

Please check TWR-KM34Z75M from this link:

TWR-KM34Z75M|Tower System Board|Kinetis MCUs|NXP 

The according SDK can be downloaded from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select 

Choose board as TWR-KM34Z75M, generate the code and download it.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

rdscliff
Contributor II

Is there a difference in the debug interfaces for the TWR-KM34Z75M and the TWR-KM34Z50MV3?

When I couldn't get the MCUXpresso IDE to connect with my board for debugging, I downloaded and installed the old CodeWarrior Development Studio.  I loaded the example "Hello World" project and attempted to debug it. And it worked!  The debug interface I selected was "OpenSDA".

MCUXpresso does not have an "OpenSDA" option.  Is this the problem?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Clifton Shak,

Sorry for my later reply, because of my annual leave in the last week.

KM34Z75M and KM34Z50MV3 have a lot of differences: clock system, module, memory map and the register.

That's why you can't download the KM34Z72M code to the KM34Z50MV3 board.

MCUXPresso have the opensda options, after you build it, and debug it in the quickstart panel, it will search the debugger automatically, but please don't use the KM34Z75M code in the 50M board, it is not match.

You said you have made the codewarrrior work, and loaded the hello world, please tell me what the hello world project you are using? From SDK KM34Z75M package?

About the stock, I have helped you to check the official website and our colleagues, the TWR-KM34Z72M board really have zero stock, the official website is also pending stock, but the buy direct is available, so you need to order it, about the time when it will have stock, you need to check it with the distributors.

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

rdscliff
Contributor II

And I forgot to answer.  The demo I used was called TWR-KM34_DEMO_SW.  It looked like an old project setup for Codewarrior and it was intended for the TWR-KM34Z50MV3 board.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Thank you for your updated information, and sorry for the inconvenience we bring you.

Anyway, anytime you need us, we will provide service for you.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

RufusVS
Contributor III

If you have a way for me to put code on this TWR-KM34Z50MV3 tower development board I purchased JUST LAST WEEK from Mouser, I'd sure appreciate.   I haven't found any buildable combination of source code and IDE yet!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rufus Smith,

TWR-KM34Z50MV3 tower have the on board debugger:opensda. So you can use the opensda associated with the IDE to download the code to the board.

About the IDE, you can use the IAR, MDK, KDS, CW, or MCUXpresso.

About the source code, you can download it from this link:

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/lab-test-software/TWR-KM34_DEMO_SW.zip 

Wish it helps you!

Next time, if you have the question, please create your own question post, don't follow other's question post.

We will help you in your own question post, thank you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

RufusVS
Contributor III

I meant to add, there is no SDK for the MKM34Z128 chip  for MCUXpresso.  They only have MKM34Z256.

0 Kudos

RufusVS
Contributor III

There are two versions in that zip file (TWR-KM34_DEMO_SW.zip).   One is for CodeWarrior (apparently Version 10.5 from the build tree), and one is for IAR EWARM.   I actually did manage to get the IAR IDE to compile and load the board via the openSDA interface.   The Codewarrior didn't seem to work in CodeWarrior 11.0 or 10.7 (I couldn't find

the 10.5 Evaluation version of CW anywhere).   What I'd really like is to be able to generate demo programs for Atollic

TrueSTUDIO, (which was apparently supported by Freescale prior to STs unfriendly takeover of the product, I'm using an old version), or if I could get it working in MCUXpresso, that'd be great too.

Thanks,

Rufus

0 Kudos

rdscliff
Contributor II

Kerry,

Thank you for your help but because we had to make a decision quickly, we decided to use a Microchip controller instead.  They have better availability of chips and development boards.  If we build a second generation of our product, I will be back here evaluating NXP again near the end of the year.

0 Kudos

rdscliff
Contributor II

Thanks for your suggestions but no one has the TWR-KM34Z75M in stock.  All (6 distributors) I checked have zero stock.

As an experiment, I setup the MCUXpresso IDE for the TWR-KM34Z75M with the sample "Hello World" from the SDK.  But I was not able to connect to the TWR-KM34Z50MV3 board in spite of the fact it looks like the Jungo/PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver properly enumerated in Windows.  I was thinking I could manually change the clock speed and memory map.  But the debugger doesn't even connect in spite of my changing the debug Launch Configuration settings.

I need to make a call on this chip in the next few days.  If I can't get this working, it may be back to Microchip in spite of the lower performance and features.  I was starting to get excited about the KM34 after studying the Reference Manual.

0 Kudos