cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing KL81/K81 MCU to Legacy MSR Magnetic Card Stripe Reader

nxp21
Contributor I

Hi,

I am interested in using the Kinetis KL81/K81 MCU for developing a portable PoS system. 

The KL81/K81 MCU has plenty of interfacing that are suitable for our needs. According to the attachment, the KL81/K81 can read EMV Chip Card (Contact) using the TDA8035 and contactless (NFC) card using the PN5180.

One thing that it is not clear for me is how to connect the KL81/K81 into the MSR Magnetic Stripe Card reader. In the diagram, it is directly connected to the ADC of KL81/K81. I am pretty sure that there should be a front-end chip that amplify and process the analog signal from the magnetic reader. Therefore, I need suggestion on how the recommended way to connect the MSR to the KL81/K81 using the fewest component as possible.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Bagus Hanindhito

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

nxp21
Contributor I

Hi Vicente,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently, I have one solution for interfacing the magnetic head into the K81/KL81 mcu. A chinese manufacturer called Pay-full has PF52923 chip that can directly connect to the magnetic head, perform any signal conditioning, and convert the data into digital using its ADC. Then, the digital data can be retrieved via I2C or SPI. But, since I cannot read chinese, I am looking for other solution, preferebly a chip that can provide the functionality of PF52923. 

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Bagus Hanindhito

0 Kudos

vicentegomez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, you are right, depending the signals that cames from the magnetic reader, you will need an amplifier in order to have a proper signal on the ADC, depending your application you can choose the proper amplifier, or maybe with some transistor will be enough.

Regards

Vicente

0 Kudos