I have been unable to get the ROM Bootloader to launch on the KL43 device p/n MKL43Z256VLH4. Specifically, on a new chip on our target board, I successfully load our app through the SWD port; but attempting to connect to the LPUART0 with the Windows app

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been unable to get the ROM Bootloader to launch on the KL43 device p/n MKL43Z256VLH4. Specifically, on a new chip on our target board, I successfully load our app through the SWD port; but attempting to connect to the LPUART0 with the Windows app

robertfunk
Contributor I

I have been unable to get the ROM Bootloader to launch on the KL43 device p/n MKL43Z256VLH4. Specifically, on a new chip on our target board, I successfully load our app through the SWD port;  but attempting to connect to the LPUART0 with the Windows app KinetisFlashTool.exe always responds with the  message, “Connect device failed”. I have checked the bootloader configuration area on the flash memory  (3C0 – 3FF) and it has not been modified (all FF).  I have attempted to connect via UART interface on our target, and also on a FRDM-KL43Z board through the open-SDA interface, and the response is the same in each case:”Error:  Connect device failed(Error:  Initial ping failure:  Invalid packet type.).

Update:  I later discovered that the KDS disables bootloader by default by writing to address 0x40D the first time any application code is written.  Modifying the default startup_MKL43Z4.S with something other than:

/* Flash Configuration */

.section .FlashConfig, "a"

.long 0xFFFFFFFF  

.long 0xFFFFFFFF

.long 0xFFFFFFFF

.long 0xFFFF3FFE

should fix this.

If anyone has a simpler way to keep the bootloader enabled when using KDS, your input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies