cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How earse and recover locked kinetis Device usining PE micro Probe

amerzater
Contributor III

Hello 
when I was testing my customized bootloader at MKV42F64 custom board  , it seems that the flash configuration field has been corrupted , so the device is secured and I couldn't program it again using PE micro probe . I am getting the next response from PE micro probe when trying to erase or to program the chip via SWD

Device selected is NXP_KVx_KV42F64M16
User Specified Hardware Selection : Interface=USBMULTILINK and Port=USB1
Connecting to target.
P&E Interface detected - Flash Version 10.46
Soft reset failed!
Device is Secure.
Device is secured. Erasing ...
Device detected. Failure to enter debug mode. Try power cycling the target while leaving the debug hardware connected and powered.
Can not enter background mode.
Soft reset failed!
Device detected. Failure to enter debug mode. Try power cycling the target while leaving the debug hardware connected and powered.
Unable to initialize PEDebug.
PEmicro GDB Launch Failure : The GDB Server was not able to establish a connection to the target processor. Please check your connections and power. Verify that the launch settings in the Debug Configuration are accurate.
Target Disconnected.
Flash command failed!
Unable to perform operation.

so , can you please advice how to erase and recover the chip using PE micro probe?

Here is my reset's signal captured on the oscilloscope :

amerzater_0-1666642738557.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I recommend you try the PEMICRO recovery tool as described in

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2021/05/20/recovering-cortex-m-microcontroller-with-a-power-glitch/

If the device is not permanently locked and bricked, you should be able to recover it.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

AndreVB
Contributor III

Hi Erich!

Do you know whether PEmicro Multilink ACP works with KINETIS RECOVERY UTILITY? The Utility can find it.

Thanks, Andre

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @AndreVB ,

I only own the FX and Multilink variants. To my understanding the ACP is a stripped down version only supporting ARM devices. I don't see any reason why the tool would not work with it.

Erich

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi amerzater,

See discussion in "MK60DX256VLL10" RESET PIN.
According to the waveform of RESET_b, it seems that the capacitor is connected, you can first remove it and try to use Kinetis_Recovery_Utility.

Hope it helps.

By the way, did you tried?: Try power cycling the target while leaving the debug hardware connected and powered.

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

amerzater
Contributor III

Thanks alot for support .. I really appreciate it.
actually , after I have removed the capacitor at my reset pin ( I have kept a pull-up resistor of 5.6Kohm at the reset pin ) I got the next signal at reset pin when there was no PE micro probe connected to my PCB:

amerzater_1-1666808138501.png

///////////////////////////

and when just afet connecting the pe micro probe I got the next signal : pulses over 3.3V DC line (pretty weird signal ,, that I didn't get it):

amerzater_0-1666808117332.png

I tried PE micro kinetis recovery tool with cycling power -on so many times but unfortunately the mcu couldn't be halted by the tool.

I need a way to recover such a locked  MCU , since I am developing my own customized bootloader and at some bugs I get a locked MCU each time

can you please help.

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The voltage waveform after the PEMicro probe is connected is very strange, please check which PORT of USB Multilink you are using.(PORT B or F or G?)

Please make sure that the PEMicro probe matches the debug interface of your board.

PE4576 Debug Headers.png

0 Kudos

amerzater
Contributor III

Dear Mr. Robin_Shen
I am using Port B of the PE micro Prob ..  in the unlocked MCU boards, the SWD connection is working pretty well without any spikes on the reset signal.
this weird waveform is only shown at the MCU that has been loaded by corrupted and invalid binary image due to some bugs at my bootloader.

I am wondering if there is such a way to recover these MCUs because until my bootloader's bugs are fixed I will have a lot of MCUs with a corrupted binary image 

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos