Hi, is it possible to use the entire FlexNVM E-Flash to backup data?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, is it possible to use the entire FlexNVM E-Flash to backup data?

Jump to solution
shridharrao
Contributor II

My processor (K50PM100) has 256 KB of FlexNVM but the FlexRAM is 4KB. The documents say that only 4KB can be backed up in FlexNVM. Is it not possible to store something like say 200KB into FlexNVM by repeatedly backing up the FlexRAM in various locations of FlexNVM?

cheers!

-shridhar

Tags (1)
1 Solution
santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

FlexNVM is used to emulate a EEPROM, expanding the write/read cycles of Flash memory (Normally about 10K cycles) to much more lifetime. To do that, the FlexNVM peripheral uses the 256 Kb of Flash in pieces of 4Kb to write in them sequentially. You can get more information here: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4282.pdf

If you want to use those 256 Kb as normal flash, of course you can write as much information as you want, but the endurance will be limited to normal flash write/ready cycles.

Regards,

Santiago

View solution in original post

3 Replies
shridharrao
Contributor II

Hi Santiago, thanks for your clarification! I read that document and somehow thought that we always have to use FlexNVM as EEE.  So, if we don't configure FlexNVM as EEE, will it by default work like a regular FLASH? I understand that total read/write cycles will be less than 10K in that case, but what about the program time? Will it be in the order of milliseconds?

My requirement is to back up some data (upto 200 KBytes) without the need for high endurance and the remaining for high endurance. So can I configure 200KB as D-Flash and remaining as E-Flash?

thanks again,

-shridhar

0 Kudos
santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Yes, you have to reserve at least 32 Kb to EEE, but the rest of the E-Flash block can be used as normal Flash for back up your data as normal flash.

Regarding the program and erase time of the flash of your device, you have all the details specified in the DataSheet.

Regards,

Santiago

0 Kudos
santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

FlexNVM is used to emulate a EEPROM, expanding the write/read cycles of Flash memory (Normally about 10K cycles) to much more lifetime. To do that, the FlexNVM peripheral uses the 256 Kb of Flash in pieces of 4Kb to write in them sequentially. You can get more information here: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4282.pdf

If you want to use those 256 Kb as normal flash, of course you can write as much information as you want, but the endurance will be limited to normal flash write/ready cycles.

Regards,

Santiago