cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with KL25z

MihaelF
Contributor II

Hello,

I'll start by saying I'm totally new to any MCU's programming, so feel free to tell me to read some docs before I ask questions, but point out which docs...

So, I'm working with frdm-kl25z. I did all the set-up as mentioned in the getting started tutorial. And then I started to try to create something on my own.

So, in the hello_world example it has LED1_EN command. And it is defined in the board.h file in the project as GPIO_DRV_OutputPinInit function in fsl_gpio_driver.h which is in the platform_lib...

Now is the question. I see that many basic (or maybe not only) functions are already defined in the included *.h files. Is there any list of them? Is there some basic tutorial/manual/something how to communicate with the MCU? Is it a standard API for this type of controller or is it a board specific?

Where i should start, besides following the examples. Because one day i may need something that is not given in the example i guess

Thanks!

2 Replies

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael,

The MCUXpresso SDK has a standard API for the NXP MCUs. Several API functions may differ because of  driver deltas across several  MCU families.

To help you further to get started, it may help the following:

Check the MCUXpresso SDK API Reference Manual for the MKL25Z4 to get an overview of the available API functions of the FRDM-KL25Z SDK, here are some options to do this:

1 https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/api_doc/dev/1364/index.html

2 Download the API reference manual after build an SDK from MCUXpresso SDK builder.

3 A cool feature of MCUXpresso IDE is that lets you open SDK documentation from a previously installed SDK.

sdk_docs.png

You can also check the MCUXpresso config tools, it enables you to configure with ease peripherals, pins and     clocks using a  graphical interface.

Here, is a neat training series.

Basic Application Development Using MCUXpresso IDE and MCUXpresso Config Tools

Another advise  is to take a look at the  Erich Styger blog MCU on eclipse https://mcuoneclipse.com/

He has useful  tutorials for  the FRDM boards (  including KL25Z) .

There are a lot of ways to get started,  and they depend on what do you want to achieve, in this community we have several document and posts that may help you. I also recomend you to take a look at our application notes for the KL25 or Kinetis MCus.

I hope this helps,

BR,

Diego