Freescale FRDM-KL25Z - Breadboard and Sensors

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale FRDM-KL25Z - Breadboard and Sensors

waltwhite
Contributor I

How do I connect the FRDM-KL25Z to a breadboard and/or how do I connect sensors to it? Where can I find sensors that are compatible with the FRDM-KL25Z?

I know nothing about this technology at this point but I want to learn. I found Xlively which lead me to mBed which lead me to Freescale which lead me to the FRDM-KL25Z which lead me here, lol.

Help me get started.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can use pretty much any sensor with the board. The big question is: what kind of sensors?

Only keep in mind that

• you use 3.3V sensors (or use a level shifter as the FRDM logic levels are 3.3V)
  • you do not draw too much current. Every micrcontroller only can supply a certain amount of current per pin, plus it has an overall current budget. A few (say less than 5) mA are typically ok. Otherwise use a transistor or similar.
  • it might be easier for you to try out one of the Arduino shields (keep above points in mind, especially as the original Arduino is 5V)
  • And you will need the software driver (or to write it)

As pointed out earlier, instead of soldering your own stuff, it might be easier to try out one of the Arduino shields, or to buy one of the breadboard adapter shields available on the market.

Hope this helps.

waltwhite
Contributor I

Thanks for the additional information. In addition to the Arduino Shields I was looking at breakout boards. It seems that these boards can be attached using headers rather than having to solder is that correct? 

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, that's correct.

For example I'm using this prototype shield:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=2289765&MER=baynote-2289765-pr

as it has dual headers. If you need just the outer Arduino pins, than a normal Arduino one is ok too.

0 Kudos

injunear1
Contributor IV

Gee Whiz,

I expected someone a lot more qualified than I would have answered your question by now, but nevertheless, I can suggest a simple place to start - if you can solder a bit.

The very simplest way to use the Freedom board with a bread board would be to solder wires to pins 8 and 12 (or 14) of J9 and then any two of the odd numbered pins, for example p1 (PTB8) and p3 (PTB9).

J9 p1 would connect through a switch to ground (p12 or 14), and J9 p3 would connect to an LED and resistor to p8 (3V3).

(You need to make sure the MCU output to the LED never exceeds 5mA. If you can keep it down to one or two mA and still have the LED light, so much the better. The resistance of the LED and resistor determine how much current will flow through the MCU output.)

Then, you would write your program to use p1 as an input and p3 as an output.

Erich Steiger has excellent beginner tutorials on his website – http://mcuoneclipse.com.

To learn how to program an input and output go to http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/11/12/tutorial-bits-and-pins-with-kinetis/

He also shows a better way to connect to the Freedom board than just hard soldering wires to it.

(For my own usage, I have soldered female AMPMODU receptacles to the underside of the board and plug the whole board into an IO board I designed and self etched. It has worked quite well for the last 6 months or so. But, there are Arduino shields that will be much easier for a beginner to start with. See Erich's website for suggestions about these as well.)

If you have no experience soldering, I would not suggest doing it yourself. (But it is something you can learn by watching video tutorials and practicing with small components first.)

Regarding connecting sensors, that is a big subject in itself. It depends on the kind of sensors you need. If you give more specifics, someone can probably give you more information.

For a simple analog voltage input visit:

Tutorial: ADC with the Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

G'Luck mate.

0 Kudos

waltwhite
Contributor I

I appreciate the response. I have to admit; I cheated and bought the Avnet Wi-Go Module http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/design/drc/Pages/Avnet-Wi-Go-Module.aspx which includes a few sensors. About the only thing I can solder would be 1/2 copper pipe! I appreciate the pointers because I bought three of the Freedom Board hoping I can get my son interested. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

0 Kudos