Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KV31F external debug with J-Link

Jump to solution
luis-martinez
Contributor III

Hi there,

I want debug this board with J-link probe mostly to experience the SWO use and elapsed time measures.

As per user's manual it's possible using the J9 connector (jtag) just cutting j11 pcb track, this should isolate openSDA chip. I did it and board loose power to target chip (KV31), seem there is some 'enable' from openSDA chip. To recover power supply from the USB connector there is a note in sch indicating 'R34 must be remove',... well:

1. Someone can confirm this way to use the j-link probe?.
2. Someone has been removed R34? (really difficult to locate,.. silk screen too small, also with lenses) mostly to not ruined my board.

Thanks a lot for your ideas and experiences.
Luis

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi luis-martinez,

You are wrong, the J11 is used to disconnect the on board debugger to the on board KV31 target chip.

Then J11 can used as the debugger to program the external board.

So, if you just want to use the external debugger eg JLINK, you don't need to disconnect J11, you still need to connect J11, and connect your external debugger to J9. Just make sure the on board debugger is not the same as your external debugger.

If your on board is already opensda, then you can use your external JLINK as the debugger directly.

The on board R34 should be DNP, which is not connected.

You even don't need to modify the FRDM-KV31F, then you can use the external JLINK directly.

Please try it on your side.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know!

Best Regards,

Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi luis-martinez,

You are wrong, the J11 is used to disconnect the on board debugger to the on board KV31 target chip.

Then J11 can used as the debugger to program the external board.

So, if you just want to use the external debugger eg JLINK, you don't need to disconnect J11, you still need to connect J11, and connect your external debugger to J9. Just make sure the on board debugger is not the same as your external debugger.

If your on board is already opensda, then you can use your external JLINK as the debugger directly.

The on board R34 should be DNP, which is not connected.

You even don't need to modify the FRDM-KV31F, then you can use the external JLINK directly.

Please try it on your side.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

luis-martinez
Contributor III

Hi kerryzhou,
Thanks your answer.
It confirm me some data (my confusing come from the reading of board' manual and schematic).

The reality is I still unable to debug with J-Link Segger Edu probe and with LPC-Link2 probe (with Segger driver installed), both tested work OK in different board,...

I think both probes should work connected in parallel with the default PEmicro openSDA onboard interface (connected in -J9, JTAG-) ,... but not, the board chip refuse the connection, I saw several post with similar problem,...

But this is different issue, I will open a new thread with it.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi luis-martinez

Do you mean, even you connect your external JLINK to the FRDM board, it still can't detect the chip?

Please share your JLINK commander result.

As I know, the LPC-LINK2 with JLINK firmware must can work with FRDM-KV31F board.

If you still have issues, when you create the new post, you can also let me know, I will share your the LPC-LINK2 test result from my side.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

luis-martinez
Contributor III

Hi kerryshou,

I tested again all configurations, one in W10 and other in Ubuntu 20.04, both under testing in different VMs, and it work. In both OS, it was tested with J-Link Segger Edu and with LPC-Link2, for all combination I conclude that probes works.
I still confusing why in the first round (jumpers on board recovered) it did't work, maybe some conflict in the debuger configurations or some USB driver was not well detected,... For now I left only the Segger J-Link debugger configuration in use,...
One question appear about the Global Memory Plot Window, some times it runs (when select the memory' label of course) and some times not. Also I have saw some unstabilities with the Watchpoints, after toggle and configuring to stop at some values it loose the operation (they did't appear),... still investigating.
In all cases I using the MCUXpresso 11.2.1 updated up to date and the latest Configuration Tool.

Some idea about the memory plot and the unstabilities of watchpoints?,... Refering to W10, do you think it's convenient have the original Java installed? (it's a clean installation only for MCUs).

Many thanks
LM 

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi luis-martinez,

About the MCUXPresso IDE  memory plot and the unstabilities of watchpoints issues, you can create a MCUXPresso IDE question post in this link:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/MCUXpresso-IDE/bd-p/mcuxpresso-ide

You can also share some issue pictures in your new post.

Then our IDE engineer will help you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
luis-martinez
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

I will do your recomendation, after some more investigation,...

Many thanks

Luis

0 Kudos