Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL25Z - Unable to program in bootloader

Jump to solution
jordanlambert
Contributor I

So here's where I am at:

I have a FRDM-KL25Z board.  I went through all the quick guide instructions without issue.  I was able to upload the flash program in bootloader.  After unplugging and re-inserting the USB cable, the proper FRDM-KL25Z MSD (since I wasn't holding the reset button to get into bootloader) came up and i was able to copy/paste and run the various pre-compiled programs from the 'quick start package.'

** running windows 7 sp1

Here's where I have run into problems:

I was rushing (enough said?)  I THINK (though I'm not sure) I flashed the bootloader with a debug .sda from PEMicro website.  It may or may not have been for the proper chip, IDK.

Here's what I am seeing:

When i plug in the usb cable (no reset button held,):

1) the RGB led on the dev board blinks RED

The last program that was flashed to the chip was the uart19200 example.  it too had the RGB flash red and at the same freq.

(is the program running on the kl25z? unable to monitor over serial port)

2) the green led for the openSDA chip does not blink at all; it is just off

3) I do NOT get any MSD drive to show up and no serial port in Device Manager either

When I hold the reset button when plugging in the USB:

1) if I continue to hold, the greel led for the openSDA chip will start to flash (500ms on/off) even before I release the reset button. (no change in behavior if i release the reset button before the          green led starts to blink.)

2) when I release the reset button, the green light continues the 500ms on/off toggle and the RGB led performs as noted above.

3) I DO get the bootloader MSD.

However, when I try to copy/paste the MSD-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v105.SDA (or openSDA application any from the 'quick start package') the green led for the openSDA repeats                flashing 8 quick times with a 2 sec delay, indicating an error has occurred. Unable to overcome this.

Any solution or insight into what happened would be awesome.  But really I just want to get back to the original, our-of-the-box programming so i can start over.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jordan,

I'd like to suggest you to refer to these thread as below which show detail information about usage of OpenSDA debug interface.

New P&E OpenSDA Firmware v114 | MCU on Eclipse

OpenSDA on the Freedom KL25Z Board | MCU on Eclipse

Hope this helps!
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jordan,

I'd like to suggest you to refer to these thread as below which show detail information about usage of OpenSDA debug interface.

New P&E OpenSDA Firmware v114 | MCU on Eclipse

OpenSDA on the Freedom KL25Z Board | MCU on Eclipse

Hope this helps!
Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jordanlambert
Contributor I

Thank Ping!

I had accutally found my problem when looking though MCU on Eclipse yesterday:

The Freescale OpenSDA Trap: “No Device Available”, or something like that…. | MCU on Eclipse

As I said above I was rushing and hadn't noticed that the folder shortcut I was using was sending me to a still-compressed folder and not the unzipped folder I was assuming.  Since the .SDA files weren't unpacked they kept failing to load to the bootloader.  Once I figured that out, I was good to go.

Thanks again for the help though.  If I hadn't figured it out, those resources would have done it I think.

Have a good one,

Jordan

PS. Erich of MCU on Eclipse | Everything on Eclipse, Microcontrollers and Software  has an awesome blog with a ton of good information.

0 Kudos