cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry level development tools

chicagomike
Contributor III

Hello,

I have some experience developing firmware for a variety of ARM Cortex devices, but this is my first NXP project.

The target design is pretty simple - primarily an SPI bus, some GPIO, and some combinatorial logic. We've selected the MKE04Z8V series.

My question is about development tools. It seems to me that MCUXpresso IDE with an MCU Link probe should be more than sufficient for this project.

Am I on the right track? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Mike,

Am I on the right track?

Yes. Getting new to a vendor, I always recommend to use the vendor default tools and environment, which is MCUXpresso IDE & SDK. Sure you can do things on your own or differently, but that's more of an expert thing and if you already know the details.

I hope this helps,

Erich

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

chicagomike
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanks for your response!

Another question: can you point me to any template projects for the MKE04Z? I've found several example projects for this part used on a Freedom board, but nothing for custom target hardware.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi Mike,

I suggest you start with using the SDK examples for the FRDM board, they are mostly usable for your own custom hardware too. The SDK examples include things like using the GPIO, UART, I2C, SPI, etc which are generic.

Erich

0 Kudos