Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between "Brown out detection" and "LVD"

Jump to solution
koichimatsuo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi all,

"Module operation in low power modes" is written in Kinetis Reference Manual. "LVD" and "Brown out detection" are written in the table of "Module operation in low power mode".

I think that MCUs include a low voltage detection (LVD) circuit to protect against brown-out conditions where the supply voltage (VDD) drops below the minimum required operating voltage (VDDmin).

Since our understanding is that "Brown out detection" is equal to "LVD", we confused...

Would you tell each definition between "brown out detection" and "LVD" in "Module operation in low power modes" of Kineitis reference manual ?

Regards,

Koichi

1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Koichi Matsuo:

Brown out detection is not the same as LVD. Brown out detection refers to the POR (Power On Reset) detect circuit. You can see from Kinetis datasheets that POR and LVD thresholds are not the same. POR is related to power outage events while LVD is for power supply variations.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Koichi Matsuo:

Brown out detection is not the same as LVD. Brown out detection refers to the POR (Power On Reset) detect circuit. You can see from Kinetis datasheets that POR and LVD thresholds are not the same. POR is related to power outage events while LVD is for power supply variations.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

koichimatsuo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jorge,

Thank you for your comment.

As you mentioned, brown out detection means VPOR: Falling VDD POR detect voltage Typ1.1[v].

I see...

Thank you for your response!

Regards,

Koichi