cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access my KL25Z from Windows 7, 8, or Linux

Jump to solution
raymetz100
Contributor II

I've never programmed a KL25Z or any ARM microcontroller for that matter.  I've been following instructions from http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/ and it says "hold in the reset, connect the board to my PC, then release reset" to get the OpenSDA chip to act like a USB stick so I can see and upgrade the software on the OpenSDA chip.  When I release reset, the tri-color LED swaps 8 colors and fades to multiple colors like normal.  Nothing seems to happen different from when I don't hold reset when connecting.

I installed the drivers from PEmicro and tried Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Windows 8.  All nothing.  I looked thorugh http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/OPENSDAUG.pdf as well.  Stickers on my board say 700-27556 rev A, SCH-27556 rev F, serial number EB14400292

I'm not sure I need to be following PE Micro instructions at all.  Maybe you can tell me what to do so I can connect my computer to my board.  I do have KDS, Codewarrior, SDK, and PE all installed.  My blink KDS program builds just fine.  Now I want to connect and program the board.  I'll buy a programmer interface if I need to.  What do you recommend?

Any more clues?  Thanks, Ray

My KL25Z project page: https://github.com/RayMetz100/TextWalkieTalkie/wiki

1 Solution
raymetz100
Contributor II

Thanks DerekLau. 
I believe I was working with bad hardware.  Most likely a bad USB cable.  All working fine now.

Story in case it's helpful to others...

I found D4 on my FRDM-KL25Z board, right next to the OpenSDA chip, stamped M20AGV.

I used a Windows 8 laptop with a blue USB 3.0 port for this test.  I also used a different USB cable.  I didn't read anything in your reply about releasing the reset switch.  I found the D4 LED before plugging it in, held in RESET, and waited...

Good news: My Windows 8 laptop recoginsed something on the USB bus.  It said something like looking for driver.  That's the first time I've seen that message, so I'm pleased.

... still connected and holding in the reset button and trying to focus on whether D4 is lit.  I didn't see d4 light.

Bad news: I smelled smoke.  I disconnected, and touched the OpenSDA chip and found it was hot and glossy black.  I tried reconnecting a couple times with and without the RESET held in and now the tri-color LED doesn't light.

Analysis:  I changed too many variables at once

Variable 1: I'm thinking my first USB cable may have been a charge only model and not a data cable.  Maybe that's why it didn't connect in the first place.

V2: I'm not sure how long I was supposed to hold in RESET or when/if to release.

V3: I have two FRDM-KL25Z boards.  I tried my other board.  Maybe it has a bug or bad OpenSDA chip?

V4: Now sure if USB3.0 or Windows 8 had anything to do with it..

Trying my other un-fried board now...

Test 1 Setup: un-fried FRDM-KL25Z board, win8, usb2 port, old USB cable(might be power only/no data), leaving the RESET button untouched.

T1 Result: Tri-color lights up.  Yay, back to square one.

(checked out the USB cable that lights the tri-color on my USB hub, no data connection.  Strange it's stamped Belkin)

using my usb hub to find a known-good data USB cable.  Found one.

Test 2 Setup: un-fried FRDM-KL25Z board, win8, usb2 port, known good USB data cable, leaving the RESET button untouched.

T2 result, tri color blinks once?, board goes into intermittent D4 blink, 8 blinks, 1 second pause.  Windows 8 discovers new USB device and loads driver.  Appears in Windows Device Manager as Portable Devices, FRDM-KL25Z.  I also see an E drive named FRDM-KL25Z.

E: drive named FRDM-KL25Z

E:\>dir /b

SERCDC89.INF

SERCDC89.CAT

LASTSTAT.TXT

SDA_INFO.HTM

FSL_WEB.HTM

TOOLS.HTM

I then held in the Reset, plugged in and quickly released.(experience from before was likely bad cheapest eBay cable)

E:drive now named BOOTLOADER

LASTSTAT.TXT

SDA_INFO.HTM

FSL_WEB.HTM

TOOLS.HTM

All good.

I thin tried my fried board with same good cable.  It does light the tri-led and go into demo mode, the reset button does restart the demo.  The D4 OpenSDA light never goes on.

Strange, when I plugged my working FRDM-KL25Z in, it didn't go into DEMO mode.  It just sits with no lights.  held in reset and replugged in and it came up as BOOTLOADER drive.  Oh well, I think I can work with this.  first step is to upgrade firmware.

Thanks,

Ray Metz

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLau
Contributor IV

Hold the reset button, connect PC to the OpenSDA usb port of KL25, D4 green LED will flash continuously. Drive named Bootloader will appear on the PC. Then drag the MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v114.SDA into the Bootloader drive.

raymetz100
Contributor II

Thanks DerekLau. 
I believe I was working with bad hardware.  Most likely a bad USB cable.  All working fine now.

Story in case it's helpful to others...

I found D4 on my FRDM-KL25Z board, right next to the OpenSDA chip, stamped M20AGV.

I used a Windows 8 laptop with a blue USB 3.0 port for this test.  I also used a different USB cable.  I didn't read anything in your reply about releasing the reset switch.  I found the D4 LED before plugging it in, held in RESET, and waited...

Good news: My Windows 8 laptop recoginsed something on the USB bus.  It said something like looking for driver.  That's the first time I've seen that message, so I'm pleased.

... still connected and holding in the reset button and trying to focus on whether D4 is lit.  I didn't see d4 light.

Bad news: I smelled smoke.  I disconnected, and touched the OpenSDA chip and found it was hot and glossy black.  I tried reconnecting a couple times with and without the RESET held in and now the tri-color LED doesn't light.

Analysis:  I changed too many variables at once

Variable 1: I'm thinking my first USB cable may have been a charge only model and not a data cable.  Maybe that's why it didn't connect in the first place.

V2: I'm not sure how long I was supposed to hold in RESET or when/if to release.

V3: I have two FRDM-KL25Z boards.  I tried my other board.  Maybe it has a bug or bad OpenSDA chip?

V4: Now sure if USB3.0 or Windows 8 had anything to do with it..

Trying my other un-fried board now...

Test 1 Setup: un-fried FRDM-KL25Z board, win8, usb2 port, old USB cable(might be power only/no data), leaving the RESET button untouched.

T1 Result: Tri-color lights up.  Yay, back to square one.

(checked out the USB cable that lights the tri-color on my USB hub, no data connection.  Strange it's stamped Belkin)

using my usb hub to find a known-good data USB cable.  Found one.

Test 2 Setup: un-fried FRDM-KL25Z board, win8, usb2 port, known good USB data cable, leaving the RESET button untouched.

T2 result, tri color blinks once?, board goes into intermittent D4 blink, 8 blinks, 1 second pause.  Windows 8 discovers new USB device and loads driver.  Appears in Windows Device Manager as Portable Devices, FRDM-KL25Z.  I also see an E drive named FRDM-KL25Z.

E: drive named FRDM-KL25Z

SERCDC89.INF

SERCDC89.CAT

LASTSTAT.TXT

SDA_INFO.HTM

FSL_WEB.HTM

TOOLS.HTM

I then held in the Reset, plugged in and quickly released.(experience from before was likely bad cheapest eBay cable)

E:drive now named BOOTLOADER

LASTSTAT.TXT

SDA_INFO.HTM

FSL_WEB.HTM

TOOLS.HTM

All good.

I thin tried my fried board with same good cable.  It does light the tri-led and go into demo mode, the reset button does restart the demo.  The D4 OpenSDA light never goes on.

Strange, when I plugged my working FRDM-KL25Z in, it didn't go into DEMO mode.  It just sits with no lights.  held in reset and replugged in and it came up as BOOTLOADER drive.  Oh well, I think I can work with this.  first step is to upgrade firmware.

Thanks,

Ray Metz

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ray,

Does your board is FRDM-KL25Z or TWR-KL25 or created by yourself ?

BR

Alice

0 Kudos
raymetz100
Contributor II

FRDM

0 Kudos