cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FRDM-KL25Z be used with KL02?

gokhanozcan
Contributor I

Hello All,

Can I program and debug KL02 series MCUs (MKL02Z8VFG4) with  FRDM-KL25Z?  If not, What is the difference, SWD Protocol, OpenSDA?

Would FRDM-KL02Z a proper candidate for this job?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gokhan,

Do you mean you want to replace KL25Z with KL02 on FRDM-KL25Z? Please kindly help to clarify! Thanks for your patience!

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gokhanozcan
Contributor I

Hi Kan,

No, I have a custom designed board which has a MKL02Z8VFG4 on it. I want(ed) to debug and program it with FRDM-KL25Z. I just want to verify if this is possible, and what is the reason behind it? It would help me make some future decisions accordingly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gokhan,

yes, it is possible, but you need to load the proper firmware and do some board modifications. See https://freescale.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/308541

Erich

0 Kudos

gokhanozcan
Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I have done everything necessary to get it running with USBDM. J11 disconnection, USBDM and drivers etc.

Firmware is c:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.10.6.190\FlashImages\MKxx\OpenSDAv1.sx

I can program (ARM Programmer -USBDM) and debug with CW10.6 the development environment's on board target MCU MK25Z128VLK4.

I can program and verify my custom board with MKL02Z8VFG4 too.  But I can't get it running. Also I can't debug with CW10.6 this board. It is saying "Failed to resume target process. Downloading binary to target"

As far as my hardware concerned:

I have checked my cable. my connection is as below. I have removed the  XTAL2 8MHz  crystal resonator which was out-of-spec. Try to run it with the internal oscillator.  My cable connection is

FRDM-KL25Z--------------- My Application

J6 ------------------------------ CON5

1 ---------- 3.3V ------------- 3

2 -------SWD_DIO---------- 2

3 -------GND------------------ 5

4 -------SWD_CLK--------- 4

10 ----- RST ---------------- 1

mcu_app.PNG.png

am I missing something?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you use either a P&E Multilink or Segger J-Link with your custom board? There could be many things going wrong with you setup, starting with having the wrong CPU specified in the debugger settings. It seems like your debug connection is somehow not able to get control over the target. That might be an electrical issue (noise? bad traces?). I have seen similar problems with my own custom boards, and using a Multilink of J-Link helped me to reduce the number of variables in the equation.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

gokhanozcan
Contributor I

I have replaced MCU with MKL02Z32VFG4. Now everything works fluent. Though I am having hard time to understand what was wrong.

I have checked the binary footprint it was 6KB which is OK to fit in 8KB of former MCU. Application is a blinking LED example produced with Processor Expert like in  Tutorial: Enlightning the Freedom KL25Z Board | MCU on Eclipse

0 Kudos