Are I/O pins of the development boards 5 V tolerant ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are I/O pins of the development boards 5 V tolerant ?

Jump to solution
markbresler
Contributor I

I have looked through the user manuals for the K64F AND KL25Z  development boards, but don't see an answer to this. Are I/O pins of the boards 5 V tolerant, what voltage is a logic high, is it related to supply voltage ?

Thanks,

Mark

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark:

The 5V tolerance question is not dependent on the board, but in the MCU device itself. You have to refer to the corresponding datasheets:

KL25: KL2x |Kinetis KL2x USB MCUs|Freescale -> Documentation -> KL25P80M48SF0

K64: K64_120 |Kinetis K64 120 MHz MCUs|Freescale -> Documentation -> K64P144M120SF5

- KL25 does not have 5V tolerant I/O pins:

KL25_VIO.png

- In K64 all the Digital pins (PTA, PTB, etc...) are 5V tolerant except for RESET, EXTAL and XTAL:

K64_VDIO.png

As you can see, both are 3.3 V devices (max 3.8 V). The min/max logical levels can be also found in the datasheet.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mark:

The 5V tolerance question is not dependent on the board, but in the MCU device itself. You have to refer to the corresponding datasheets:

KL25: KL2x |Kinetis KL2x USB MCUs|Freescale -> Documentation -> KL25P80M48SF0

K64: K64_120 |Kinetis K64 120 MHz MCUs|Freescale -> Documentation -> K64P144M120SF5

- KL25 does not have 5V tolerant I/O pins:

KL25_VIO.png

- In K64 all the Digital pins (PTA, PTB, etc...) are 5V tolerant except for RESET, EXTAL and XTAL:

K64_VDIO.png

As you can see, both are 3.3 V devices (max 3.8 V). The min/max logical levels can be also found in the datasheet.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos