Why there is no 64-bit DEB package for Kinetis Design Studio?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why there is no 64-bit DEB package for Kinetis Design Studio?

Jump to solution
adrianomitre
Contributor II

Why Freescale does not offer a 64-bit DEB package for Kinetis Design Studio? It is very inconvenient having to keep both a 32-bit and 64-bit Java Development Kits, not to mention the probable performance hit from not using x86-64-specific instructions.

SEGGER offers DEB Installer 64-bit version of their J-Link drivers and I think Freescale should do the same for KDS, specially given that virtually all desktops now run 64-bit processors and probably most Debian based GNU/Linux installs are also 64-bit.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The version V2.0.0 coming out to the end of this year will be 64bit. We had an initernal depency on 32bit binaries, and it was not possible to change that to 64bit in the time frame for the V1.x release. I agree that the 32bit binaries are not ideal, but in my view better than everyone had to wait for the 64bit version at the end of the year. I hope that makes sense.

Erich

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The version V2.0.0 coming out to the end of this year will be 64bit. We had an initernal depency on 32bit binaries, and it was not possible to change that to 64bit in the time frame for the V1.x release. I agree that the 32bit binaries are not ideal, but in my view better than everyone had to wait for the 64bit version at the end of the year. I hope that makes sense.

Erich