Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my K64F unable to connect?

Jump to solution
michaelkoller
Contributor III

Hey there!

I haven't used my FRDM K64F for a few weeks and now I cannot connect it to my laptop via the USB host any more.

I'll first describe the current behavior:

If I connect the OpenSDAv2 Micro USB port, nothing happens. If I press reset, I can see the Bootloader device in my explorer and the green status light is blinking slowly. (Pressing and holding the reset button and then plugging in the OpenSDA seems to be the standard way to get into the bootloader). When I connect to the other USB port, the red status light is on permanently.

Did the following thing maybe do damage:

I connected Pin 16 (P5-9V_VIN) to 5V and Pin 12/14 (both GND) to my Ground. Then the green and red status lights flashed very fast. The second time it did not work anymore with this way of powering the board, only the red status light again. Afterwards I tried to connect and power the board to my laptop, as usually, but it only shows the behavior I mentioned above.

The constant red light means it is resetting all (I've read).

When I last used the board with the Kinetis Design Studio, everything worked fine.

Did I brick it somehow? How can I recover it?

I am reading the 'Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader User Guide'. Is this the right source?

Thanks for all information and help in advance!

Cheers,

Michael

PS: I am reading similar threads that have a similar topic, like this one: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/11/10/recovering-the-frdm-k64f-bootloader-or-cloning-the-program-of-a-...

But I really do not want to make things worse without having talked to someone with expertise here on the forum first.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

Ok...Linux...Ubuntu....luckily I have a laptop with ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

FYI - I'm not expert but more of a hack so hopefully my pointers help.

I have KDS_3.2 installed.  This should have installed debugger awareness (and assuming VCOM via /dev/ttyACMx).

I just downloaded the KSDK_v2 for frdm-k64f and KDS IDE support.

Plugged in the frdm-k64f to usb port.  Don't see any magic happen but when I open KDS and open the gpio_led_output_frdmk64f example, compile it, then open the Debug Configuration dialog wizard, I click on the Debugger tab, it shows that the OpenSDA interface can see the USB1 - OpenSDA port!

I clicked the Debug button and it downloaded the example and allowed me to debug.

I then opened a Terminal window and looked in /dev/tty* and say that the ttyACM0 was present.

I used "sudo minicom -s" to setup the serial interface to /dev/ttyACM0 and 115200 baud, 8-bit, 1-stop, no parity. Save and Exit.

I then launched minicom with "sudo minicom" and re-ran the example and could see the printf outputs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mignacio
Contributor III

Hi David,

I need your help with my new FRDM-K64F and P&E Multilink Universal.

These were working find from inside MCUXpresso, debugging demo apps, Blinky & Bubble, with USB cable connected only to plain USB power port J22 on the FRDM.

Using J22 USB port does not work for Hello World SDK project because that requires UART serial to USB TX/RX ports via the openSDA J26 port.  So I asked PEmicro how to do it & they advised to drag-n-drop their DEBUG_OpenSDA_for_MBED_Bootloader_by_Pemicro_v108_v2.1.bin  to the BOOTLOADER MSD, which I did after doing the SW1 press & hold on openSDA power up.

The Windows Explorer pop-up was very brief & it goes away as soon as droped the .bin to it.

PROBLEM:  when I disconnect & reconnect the openSDA USB cable, BOTH the red & green LEDs are lit-up solid.

My PC Device manager now lists the Jungo openSDA devices & Port COM5 Serial devices.

However, inside MCUXpresso, the debug is not proceeding all the way even if I correctly select openSDA probes and such in the debug configuration.

Then, to isolate the problem, I went back connecting USB cable to plain USB power port J22 just to be able to make BLINKY & BUBBLE projects to debug & run again.  They too are now timing out & GDB is not launching anymore.

Do you know what's going on & can you help me resolve this matter?

Thanks for your help.

MI

0 Kudos
michaelkoller
Contributor III

Hey David!

You are right! I did not realize that with that PE Micro bin file I would have to start using another debugger variant. Until now I used the OpenOCD, but with this of course I have to use the PNE debugger. KDS sees the device on my laptop as well. I am using the new debugger now and all is fine and in the /dev folder it shows me the ttyACM0 again.

Also, now I now what to do, if this ever happens again.

Thank you so much and have a great day,

Michael

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

Ok...Linux...Ubuntu....luckily I have a laptop with ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

FYI - I'm not expert but more of a hack so hopefully my pointers help.

I have KDS_3.2 installed.  This should have installed debugger awareness (and assuming VCOM via /dev/ttyACMx).

I just downloaded the KSDK_v2 for frdm-k64f and KDS IDE support.

Plugged in the frdm-k64f to usb port.  Don't see any magic happen but when I open KDS and open the gpio_led_output_frdmk64f example, compile it, then open the Debug Configuration dialog wizard, I click on the Debugger tab, it shows that the OpenSDA interface can see the USB1 - OpenSDA port!

I clicked the Debug button and it downloaded the example and allowed me to debug.

I then opened a Terminal window and looked in /dev/tty* and say that the ttyACM0 was present.

I used "sudo minicom -s" to setup the serial interface to /dev/ttyACM0 and 115200 baud, 8-bit, 1-stop, no parity. Save and Exit.

I then launched minicom with "sudo minicom" and re-ran the example and could see the printf outputs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
michaelkoller
Contributor III

Hey David!

I'm using Ubuntu, so there is no Device Manager. But with hardinfo I can look through all components and there I cannot find anything called Jungo. If I go into bootloader mode, the device shows up, though. I see no debugger or VCOM, but it could be, that I looked in the wrong places (?)

By try downloading an example project, do you mean flashing and running a program with Kinetis Design Studio? This fails also, with the same error message as before, so I guess my laptop still does not recognize the board.

Thanks for your advice again! Would you be so kind and give it another try or tell me what I missed?

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

Head back into the BOOTLOADER and drag-n-drop the DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v108a_for_OpenSDA_v2.0.bin to it.

Unplug and re-plug in the USB debugger cable to see if it worked.

Connecting 5V to P5-9V_VIN should be OK.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
michaelkoller
Contributor III

Hey David!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did what you said with following results:

After dragging and dropping the specified file into the BOOTLOADER device, the green status LED changes from blinking slowly to blinking fast. When I unplug and replug the board as the next step, the red and green status LED light up simultaneously. I dont see the normal storage device in my explorer. If I unplug and replug while holding reset I can get into the bootloader again.

Having both status leds on simultaneously occured before the unresponsiveness when I posted my initial question here.

Thanks again, maybe you can tell me what to try next?

Best,

Michael

(Until then I'll google red and green led on)

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

What do you see in the Device Manager?

Mine shows the Jungo->PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver and Ports (COM&LPT)->OpenSDA - CDC Serial Port below:

pastedImage_0.png

So no MSD drive shows up with this PEMicro firmware.  Just debugger and VCOM.

If that stuff shows up on your system then try downloading an example frdm-k64f project.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos