Where Does KDS store settings (e.g. Window Location)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Does KDS store settings (e.g. Window Location)

Jump to solution
beng_
Contributor III

Background - I've recently changed company. I've previously used IAR for many years, but my new company uses Kinetis Design Studio, so I'm currently undergoing a bit of a learning curve.

Where does KDS store the user specific setting like window locations? E.g. I want Window X docked here and Window Y floating here? As this is something that's unique to each user it won't be under Source Code Control, however it's something I'd want to backup locally (e.g. in case of PC failure, I shift computers or even Just make a mistake and accidentally move a window I didn't want to)

I.e. Is there a settings fiel or files? That I can just back up via batch/script?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

eclipse stores the settings on different levels:

- by the installation: settings are stored in <installation>\eclipse\configuration\.settings

- by the user: this depends on the host OS, but typically it is inside a .eclipse folder inside your user folder.

- by workspace. The settings are stored inside the .metadata folder of the workspace. These settings should not be modified/moved to another folder/workspace or put into a version control system. If you need them, you can export and import them (see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/04/04/copy-my-workspace-settings/ ), means you could store that xml file for all users using it in a version control system

- by project: you will see a .settings folder in project folders. It is created automatically if it does not exist. From my perspective the settings in there are not important to my projects, so I d not store them in a version control system.

From a version control perspective, you do not need to store these settings file as all the important things are inside the project folder. If you want to put the IDE/eclipse (plus potentially the compiler/toolchain into such a system, you certainly can do this.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

eclipse stores the settings on different levels:

- by the installation: settings are stored in <installation>\eclipse\configuration\.settings

- by the user: this depends on the host OS, but typically it is inside a .eclipse folder inside your user folder.

- by workspace. The settings are stored inside the .metadata folder of the workspace. These settings should not be modified/moved to another folder/workspace or put into a version control system. If you need them, you can export and import them (see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/04/04/copy-my-workspace-settings/ ), means you could store that xml file for all users using it in a version control system

- by project: you will see a .settings folder in project folders. It is created automatically if it does not exist. From my perspective the settings in there are not important to my projects, so I d not store them in a version control system.

From a version control perspective, you do not need to store these settings file as all the important things are inside the project folder. If you want to put the IDE/eclipse (plus potentially the compiler/toolchain into such a system, you certainly can do this.

I hope this helps,

Erich