Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using USBDM with Kinetis Design Studio

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

Just having a play with KDS.

For those interested in using USBDM + KDS it appears to be quite straightforward.

Since KDS is based on a relatively lightly modified Eclipse (compared to Codewarrior 10) it is possible to just treat it as a basic Eclipse install as far as USBDM is concerned.

Just install USBDM as usual but select the Eclipse CDT Plugins  installation:

11471_11471.pngpastedImage_0.png

Then browse to the eclipse subdirectory within the KDS installation directory:

11510_11510.pngpastedImage_0.png

Complete the installation.

After installing you will need to configure USBDM in Kinetis Design Studio (Eclipse):

11477_11477.pngpastedImage_0.png

Select the Browse button to locate the ARM tools that USBDM needs.  This can be pointed at the ARM-GCC installation included in KDS.

11478_11478.pngpastedImage_1.png

11479_11479.pngpastedImage_5.png

You can use your usual KDS projects but now can create a USBDM launch configuration.

11476_11476.pngpastedImage_8.png

For more details on this see Launch Configuration Settings this link:

USBDM: Eclipse - New Project Wizard

An added bonus is that you also gain a Kinetis peripheral register viewer:

11474_11474.pngpastedImage_6.png

bye

PS. One further feature - If you install Codesourcery for Coldfire you can also develop and debug code for Coldfire devices in KDS. A bit of an unexpected feature .

Labels (1)
4 Replies

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

Great Post pgo

0 Kudos

geoffs
Contributor I

pgo, thanks for the instructions.  I've installed the latest release of USBDM as shown above, including the CDT plugins for KDS, but when I launch KDS there isn't any "USBDM" menu entry.  Are there additional installation steps required ?

thanks.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Geoff,

Why is it that I can check something several times and still not see an error!

When installing USBDM please select the eclipse directory in the KDS installation - not the KDS root as shown in the screen grab above.

Sorry for the misinformation.

To fix without re-installing copy the contents of the dropins directory that was created in the KDS root directory into the eclipse\dropins directory.

Alternatively uninstall and re-install with a selection of the KDS/eclipse directory.

I will update the above screen grab shortly.

Sorry for the stuffing around.

bye

PS.

The next version of USBDM will auto-select the KDS directory.  I'll put this up in a few days - it will fix some minor annoyances.

0 Kudos

geoffs
Contributor I

Brilliant !  As you suggested, I moved the "USBDM" subdirectory from the KDS_1.0.1\dropins directory into KDS_1.0.1\eclipse\dropins instead, and now it works fine.

Thanks - and don't feel bad - without you, we would be nowhere :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos