Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Problem Solved] can't connect to FRDM-K64F with KDS 1.1 on Ubuntu 12.04

macl
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Posting this tip I just learned.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM

I have the J-Link firmware (latest from Segger website) for OpenSDAv2 on FRDM-K64F. On Windows 7 I can connect to the board with KDS with the JLink debug connection.  That works great.  However, on Ubuntu 12.04 running in Virtual Box, It cannot connect.  I double checked that my VirtualBox settings are allowing it to see the Segger JLink USB device is connected, however the GDB Server isn’t able to connect.  I also tried  installing the latest JLink software and running the command line JLinkExe utility, but it also can’t connect. 

Here is the output from the console showing the error:

JLinkARM.dll V4.88a (DLL compiled Jul 17 2014 18:20:12)

-----GDB Server start settings-----
GDBInit file: none
GDB Server Listening port:     2331
SWO raw output listening port: 2332
Terminal I/O port: 2333
Accept remote connection:      localhost only
Generate logfile: off
Verify download: on
Init regs on start:            on
Silent mode: off
Single run mode: on
Target connection timeout:     5 sec.
------J-Link related settings------
J-Link Host interface:         USB
J-Link script: none
J-Link settings file: none
------Target related settings------
Target device: MK64FN1M0xxx12
Target interface: SWD
Target interface speed:        30kHz
Target endian: little

Connecting to J-Link...
Connecting to J-Link failed. Connected correctly?
GDBServer will be closed...
Shutting down...

SOLUTION

The issue is related to the USB hand-over between Windows and my Ubuntu Virtual Machine.

Segger said that “Under special circumstances, when the J-Link first enumerates under windows and then manually attaches to the VM by clicking add removable devices, we see the connection problem. When power-cycling the USB, it enumerates directly in the virtual machine (Linux) and from now it’s working as expected:”

Usually, I start Ubuntu VM from Virtual Box, then capture the Segger USB device in the Devices…USB Devices… menu in the VM.  Thus power cycling does not help, because if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, it enumerates back in Windows. 

However, a colleague mentioned that in the Virtual Box Manager, you can add the Segger USB device to enumerate directly in Ubuntu VM without having to capture it.  This is done by first plugging in the cable, then in the Virtual Box Manager, go to Settings…USB…  (click add icon) and select the Segger usb device. 

14122_14122.pngvirtual_box_settings.PNG.png

14123_14123.pngvirtual_box_usb.PNG.png

After making this settings change, if I start up Ubuntu VM with the USB cable already connected, I still have to unplug and re-plug it for it to work.  However, if I start up Ubuntu VM first before plugging in the cable, it works. 

Thanks,

Mac L

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies