cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&E Multilink Universal and FRDM-K64F

Jump to solution
peterfurey
Contributor IV

I'm trying to use a P&E USB Multilink Universal interface with my FRDM-K64F board.

I'm using the following debug configuration:

42187_42187.PNGdebugConfig.PNG

However, when I try to debug I get this:

42191_42191.PNGP&Ediag.PNG

Anyone run into this before or have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

Peter

Labels (1)
1 Solution
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hello David,

I resolved the problem by cutting the traces as described in Section 14 in FRDMK64FUG (Rev. 0.1) on page p17.

"To use an external debugger, such as J-Link, you may need to disconnect the OpenSDA SWD from the K64. To do this on the FRDM-K64F board, cut the shorting trace which connects the pins of jumper holes on connectors J8 and J12."

Thank you,

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
orangeusa
Contributor III

Also, you need to move the reset jumper - J25. For OpenSDA, it is on 1-2. For P&E, it must be on pins 2-3.

I go back and forth, and this is one of the ones I always forget. And as other said - cut J8, J12, but NOT J11. (the FRDM_K64 schematic says to cut it, but don't do it). Add headers in J8 and J12 and then you can go back and forth. (Like if you forget the P&E at work or home..)

peterfurey
Contributor IV

Thanks Scott, Didn't know about jumper J25, just so happens that my jumper was on pins 2-3. I added headers too so that I could use it both ways if needed. Yes, I saw the note about J11 too and luckily tried just cutting J8 and J12 first. Cheers

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Peter,

Which port on your board does your USB to connected ?

Please connect the J22 (K64 USB) , then have a try.

Have a great day,
Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hello Alice,

I’m using the J9 (K64 SWD) port. The P&E Multilink Universal uses the 2x5 pin port.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

I just ran the same test as you but mine is working.  The only difference I see is I have Rev B of the USB MultiLink Universal and you have Rev A.

Is your MultiLink firmware up-to-date?

Is your debugger working with any other Kinetis hardware?

Summary of my test:

- FRDM-K64F Freedom board

- KDS_3.0 and KSDK_1.2.0 running a newly generated

- USB cable connected to J26 (<-EDITed was J6...typo meant J26) SDAUSB for power and VCOM

- USB MultiLink Universal Rev B running Version 1.09 Firmware...connected using 20-pin cable where only the first 10 used on the 10-pin J9 JTAG connector  (be careful that the connector is orientated correctly so pin 1 is connected to pin 1).

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi David,

Do you mean J26 for the power and virtual serial port?

Thanks,

Peter

1.) I double checked that I know where pin1 is on the board and on my cable.

2.) I have the latest firmware for the Multilink

3.) I don't have another MCU to try the debugger with, but I believe its been used in the past by my customer (its a loaner).

In user's guide FRDMK74FUG on page p17, section 14, it notes that you may need to disconnect the OpenSDA SWD from the K64, could this be the issue?

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Yes J26...was a typo and I fixed it.

FRDMK64UG.pdf ;-) ... I have not made any changes to board to allow using the USB MultiLink.

Are you sure that the red strip on the cable inside the USB MultiLink is connected to pin 1?

When USB MultiLink connected to FRDM-K64F, are both LEDs on USB MultiLink on?

Regards,

David

PS

Does the on-board USB debugger (J26) work for you?

0 Kudos
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi David,

I've since bought a new USB Multilink Universal FX probe since our last correspondence.

I'm seeing the same problem, so I'm pretty sure that this is not a PEMicro probe or cable issue.

What version FRDM-K64F board were you using? I have 700-28163 REV D, SCH-28163 REV E3.

Much thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Peter,

Hmmmm.  I have older boards.

700-28163 REV A

SCH-28163 REV C

I'll have to poke around to see if I can get a newer one to test with.

EDITed

I found a new board....REV D/ REV E3.

I made several modifications to isolate the on-board debugger from the JTAG connector and still allow using the J26 OpenSDA interface for power and COM support:

- cut traces on backside of board for J18 and J12.

- move jumper J25 to pins 2-3 (default is 1-2).

Regards,

David

peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hello David,

I resolved the problem by cutting the traces as described in Section 14 in FRDMK64FUG (Rev. 0.1) on page p17.

"To use an external debugger, such as J-Link, you may need to disconnect the OpenSDA SWD from the K64. To do this on the FRDM-K64F board, cut the shorting trace which connects the pins of jumper holes on connectors J8 and J12."

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos
sudhakarp
Contributor V

Hi David,

i tried with KDS 3.0.0 and KSDK1.2.0 i am not get any connect error problem error

actually I  CONNECTED  K64 USB(J22) PORT. AFTER THAT ONLY CONNECT ERROR PROBLEM SOLVED.

i loaded hello_world example code after i restarted board (USB unflug and flugged). but existing code only there. i dnt know why. in console i am getting following instruction,Untitled5.png

again i connected opensdav2 in my pc but hellow word code was not running. previously i loaded LED blink code throught OPENSDAv2 that code only running.

and aslo some time i am getting following errorUntitled4.png

0 Kudos
sudhakarp
Contributor V

Hi David,

me also have same problem. am using KDS2.0  and ksdk1.1.0. i am using MK64FN1MOVLL12 controller.

using help-> check for update option i updated my PE software. but still am getting problem. i added image also.Untitled1.png

after click Debug button am getting following error.

Untitled2.png

i tried with both OPENSDAv2 USB and also K64 USB but am getting same error.

0 Kudos
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi David,

Yes to all three questions.

I can go back to using the USB debugger (J26) but I will eventually need to port my work to a custom board which will only have the SWD/JTAG debug interface option. So I was hoping to switch over to that debug configuration sooner rather than later.

Thank you,

Peter

0 Kudos