OpenOCD - to use or not to use it?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenOCD - to use or not to use it?

piotrek
Contributor III

With KDS 2.0.0 and FRDM K64F board I've tried to use OpenOCD Debugging with no much of a success  The result is:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0-dev (2014-10-31-11:10)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'cmsis-dap'

Error: unable to open CMSIS-DAP device

Error: unable to init CMSIS-DAP driver

Error: Error selecting 'cmsis-dap' as transport

Runtime Error: D:/Freescale/KDS_2.0.0/openocd/bin/..//scripts/kinetis.cfg:3:

in procedure 'script'

at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 58

in procedure 'interface' called at file "D:/Freescale/KDS_2.0.0/openocd/bin/..//scripts/kinetis.cfg", line 3

Sometimes followed by:

Quit (expect signal SIGINT when the program is resumed)

Is there something fundamentally wrong with OpenOCD and FRDM K64F board and the OpenOCD debugging should not be used?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

I am also having the same problem exactly. I will switch over to the SEGGER J link as I am fed up of this OpenOCD.

0 Kudos

tharonhall
Contributor IV

I switched from the OpenOCD from mbed to the P&E OpenOCD described in the KDS User Guide starting on Page 9 for the V2.0.0 version. It is much faster and far more stable than the stock mbed version. This was recommended to me by my Freescale FAE.

0 Kudos

giacomopetrini
Contributor IV

have you put the "-f kinetis.cfg" config option in the openOCD debug configuration.

Anyway I used it for some time, but at the end I began to use the SEGGER JLINK because it relly faster.

Bye Giacomo

0 Kudos

piotrek
Contributor III

Yes. The default configuration comes with this option selected.

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Piotrek,

Please take a look to the appendix C of the document below, it explains the connection types, how to identify your connection and it also explains how to switch or update your connection firmware.

Writing my first KSDK Application in KDS - Hello World and Toggle LED with GPIO Interrupt

Hope it helps!

Best regards,

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

have you loaded the CMSIS-DAP firmware on the board?

Erich

0 Kudos

piotrek
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

I've loaded the 20140530_k20dx128_k64f_if_mbed.bin file from mbed.org. It shows: Version: 0203 Build: May 30 2014 19:00:51

Regards,

Piotr

0 Kudos