MKL17Z256VFM4 + Kinetis Design Studio + Software development kit + PE Micro Multilink cannot debug and download

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKL17Z256VFM4 + Kinetis Design Studio + Software development kit + PE Micro Multilink cannot debug and download

Jump to solution
sys
Contributor III

Hi all,

we are tring to use the MKL17Z256VFM4 on our custom board to develop out product.

We are facing problem on downloading and debugging the project into our board.

First of all, this is what we do to get the processor available in the KDS:

1) Download and install Kinetis Design Studio 3.0.0

2) Download and install KSDK 1.2.0_KL33Z_1.0.0

3) On KDS: Help => Install new software => Add... => Archive => and we selected the Eclipse_Update zip in the tools\eclipse_update folder

4) Download and install KSDK 1.2.0_MainLine release

5) On KDS: Help => Install new software => Add... => Archive => and we selected the Eclipse_Update zip in the tools\eclipse_update folder

After this we can create a project using the MKL17Z256VFM4 and Processor Expert

The problems start when we try to download and debug the code into our board: we are using P&E Micro Multilink to do this, using SWD protocol. So we created the Debug Configuration as described everywhere.

But after this, a lot of problems start...there is no only one single problem, but more than one...often different between them. One of the most is the follow (copy & past from the Console tab):

Connection from "127.0.0.1" via 127.0.0.1

Copyright 2012 P&E Microcomputer Systems,Inc.

Command Line :C:\Freescale\KDS_3.0.0\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne_2.2.1.201509111213\win32\pegdbserver_console -device=Freescale_KL1x_KL17Z256M4 -startserver -singlesession -serverport=7224 -interface=USBMULTILINK -speed=5000 -port=USB1 4

CMD>RE

Initializing.

Target has been RESET and is active.

CMD>CM C:\Freescale\KDS_3.0.0\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne_2.2.1.201509111213\win32\gdi\P&E\supportFiles_ARM\Freescale\KL1x\freescale_kl17z256m4_1x32x64k_pflash.arp

Initializing.

Initialized.

;version 1.01, 07/31/2014, Copyright 2014 P&E Microcomputer Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. www.pemicro.com [kl17z_256k_n_pflash_m0]

;device freescale, kl17z256m4, 1x32x64k, desc=pflash

;begin_cs device=$00000000, length=$00040000, ram=$20000000

Loading programming algorithm ...

Error loading .ARP file : C:\Freescale\KDS_3.0.0\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne_2.2.1.201509111213\win32\gdi\P&E\supportFiles_ARM\Freescale\KL1x\freescale_kl17z256m4_1x32x64k_pflash.arp at address 20000000

Error loading programming algorithm - load aborted.

Error occured during Flash programming.

PE-ERROR: Error downloading to the device.

It seems there is errors with "gdb" tool. Also, when the error above appears,

Other error is:

- Error in services launch sequence

And some others...

Just for saying, we develop other products using MKE02Z64VLH4 & Eclipse & PE Multilink, without any problems. And in fact, KDS with our MKE02Z64VLH4 boards, works perfectly.

Where could be the issues? Can you help us?

Thanks in advance!

Sandro

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sandro,

The package for KSDK 1.2.0_KL33Z_1.0.0, you don´t need for MKL17Z256VFM4.

MKL17Z256VFM4 is in KSDK 1.2.

Please, check this thread if it is an issue you face:

KE02: Error downloading to the device

Let me know, if it helps.

Iva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sys
Contributor III

Dear Iva,

we solved also the PE Cyclone MAX issue: the problem is that the wiring connection has a little difference between Cylone MAX and Multilink: there must be a shortcut between PIN7 (TMS) and PIN13 (TDO) of the Port E on the Cyclone MAX.

Sorry for this, we hope this can help others that have trouble with this issue.

The only thing that stays open is the capacity difference on SWD_CLK between MKE02Z and MKL25Z, if u find the reason we close the circle :smileyhappy:

Really thanks for help Iva!

Sandro

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sandro,

You are very welcome, I'm glad to help you.

In case of other questions/observations, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards

Iva

0 Kudos
sys
Contributor III

Dear Iva,

We use the same ribbon cable and connections that we use with PE Multilink, so it would be good also for Cyclone MAX right?

Anyway, is there a reason that we had to change the capacity? Could u provide us a suggested wiring schema for this processor for connecting SWD PE devices? Or our one is good?

I attach a picture of our cables/device/connections, let me know if there is somwthing wrong, but we dont think it is it.

Thanks in advance!

Sandro

UPDATE: WAIT before answer Iva, we are trying a thing :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
sys
Contributor III

Dear Iva,

we did it!

We had to lower debug shift frequency to 50KHz, and delay of 100mS to let the debug works, so we go deeply to understand the problem.

The problem was in the SWD connection wiring diagram.

BUT...it is not our mistake...we did the connection following Freescale FAE suggestion, as the diagram I attach.

The diagram suggested is for MKE02Z, so we did the same with MKL17Z, cause we thinked it should be the same.

Instead, while the diagram is OK for MKE02Z, on the MKL17Z we needed to change the Capacity on the SWD_CLK pin: from 10pF to 100pF, and everything now works fine, without changing Debug Shift frequency or anything else.

Is there a reason that from a Kinetis family processor to another one, the connections must be changed?

Anyway, this resolved problem with Multilink, but we are still facing problems with PE Cyclone MAX.

Thanks for help Iva, we would like to know ur considerations.

Sandro

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Sandro,

I received the answer from P&E Microcomputer Systems about the issue with the PE Cyclone MAX that

this is symptomatic of a connection issue.

Please,is there anything worth mentioning with regards to the debug header and the ribbon cables used in this setup?

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sandro,

The package for KSDK 1.2.0_KL33Z_1.0.0, you don´t need for MKL17Z256VFM4.

MKL17Z256VFM4 is in KSDK 1.2.

Please, check this thread if it is an issue you face:

KE02: Error downloading to the device

Let me know, if it helps.

Iva

0 Kudos
sys
Contributor III

Hello Iva,

thanks for help, we just tried to lowering the debug shift frequency (to the lower one) and to change reset delay (up to 100ms), but with no luck, the problems remain.

We also have a PC without KSDK 1.2.0_KL33Z_1.0.0, same issues. Anyway do u think this could give some problems?

Thanks for every help,

let me know please,

Sandro

UPDATE: Sorry I forgot one thing: we tried yesterday also with PE Cyclone MAX, with the same results.

Thanks for help!

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Sandro,

does the answer solve your problem?

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
sys
Contributor III

Just some minutes Iva, we are doing some verifies :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Sandro,

no, the package does not have any influence on this.

But if you would like to create new project for MKL17Z256VFM4, you should choose KSDK 1.2,

in other case you will see

kl33.jpg

I contacted P&E Microcomputer Systems, so when I receive the answer, I will post the answer here.

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos