cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS Projects in Windows 7 transfer to Windows 10

mci
Contributor III

Hello,

We have a firmware project that's based-on Kinetis MK22FX512 MCU which was developed in Kinetis Design Studio v3.0.0 using KSDK  v1.3.0, all under Windows 7.  

I took over this project to upgrade and add new features in firmware to the product also in this environment in Windows 7.    There will be more modifications in the future to add few more features.    All the project source and built files are on a server, and not in my PC.

Now I will be starting on a new HW/FW project based-on Kinetis MKL28Z512VLL7 inside MCUXpresso usking the SDKs that I need to develop this product.   Currently, I have been doing a lot of trial projects in MCUXpresso under Windows 7.

Our IT department will move all our PC's to Windows 10 soon, in a month or so.

I would like to start the new product's firmware in MCUXpresso under Windows 10, with all of GIT version control source management.

However, I still need to support and develop for the old FW in KDS IDE that has been worked on in Windows 7.

QUESTIONS:

1.  When IT upgrades my PC to Windows 10, will downloading and installing KDS v3.0.0 and KSDK v1.3.0 still work as is?  Or do I need to make special arrangements or other application installation to make them work in Windows 10 just as how it worked in Windows 7?

2.  When in Windows 10, will I still be able to import those KDS projects in KDS via "Import Projects" ---> "From Existing Projects" etc. without any issues, such that all existing MK22 firmware can be edited, upgraded and built just as how I have done it when everything was  in Windows 7?

Thanks for the help.

MI

0 Kudos
4 Replies

charliejonshon1
Contributor I

Is anyone facing windows error after updating the windows 10? Actually, I am getting windows error 80070103 after the windows update.

0 Kudos

mci
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanks for your response.  It is helpful & provides some relief.  The old product does not use OpenSDA interface; it is a custom board embedded product.   (Now I just need to ask someplace else about Atmel & AVR Studio for a different old product which was built on XP & later Windows 7.)

Follow-up questions:

1) Will older version of KDS v3.0.0 & KSDK 1.3.0 still work on Windows 10? 

2) If not, can I import existing project to project in the latest version KDS v3.2.0 & use KSDK 1.3.0 as well?

Thanks so much.

MI

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi MI,

1) yes, I don't see any reason why not. But I would recommend not to use KDS 3.0.0: the 3.2.0 version is the latest, so you better use that one (if not moving up to the MCUXpresso IDE).

2) yes.

Erich

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have migrated years ago from Win7 to Win10 and KDS without any issues.

The IDE and the projects make no assumptions about Win7 or Win10.

So:

1. It still works as in Win7

2. You simply create a new workspace and import the projects as usual.

There is only one reason why I keep a Win7 machine at hand (and it is not IDE releasted): to recover OpenSDA boards (see Bricking and Recovering OpenSDA Boards in Windows 8 and 10 | MCU on Eclipse). It is possible to configure Win10 not to brick the OpenSDA boards, but I have found it easier to have a Win7 machine at hand, just in case.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos