Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyperlink_1

Jump to solution
youngcheolsong
Contributor II

Hello everyone ?

i would like to use the Kinetis Design Studio in Win XP environment. but i met problems.

First, during install the KDS, i saw the pop-up window which content is "Failed to create the control Hyperlink_1 on the dialog ExitDialog."

Second, when i try to run KDS, i saw the pop-up window which content is "Failed to create the Java Virtual Machine."

So, I can't run KDS.

Could you help me to solve these problems and to use KDS ?

Best Regards,

Youngcheol Song.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The supported Windows host operating systems are Windows 7 and Windows 8. I believe you can run it on Vista too, but I cannot confirm this. Definitely Windows XP is not on the supported list, and no surprise to me that it does not work on Windows XP. Windows XP is simply too old. I recommend that you use a more recent operating system (Linux or Windows).

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fzamora
Contributor I

Hello!

I´m having the same problem.  Thank you Erich for your answer.  I´m running Parallels Desktop on a Mac book air with Windows XP installed.  I found this on a forum:

"The hyperlink control is unavailable for Windows Installer 4.5 or earlier. To support it on those platforms, you will have to enable Enhanced UI from the Themes page, Settings tab."

So, maybe if KDS developers repack the installer with that option enabled the problem will be solved.

And a question to Erich (in fact two)...In your blog mcuoneclipse you packed your own ARM IDE with Eclipse Kepler for your classes.  Is it better than KDS IDE?  And in this case (KDS not running over WinXP), would it run on windows XP systems?

Best regards from Bogota, Colombia, Universidad Distrital FJC

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francisco,

XP is simply too old (sorry) to be supported in KDS. But that option you refer to is in my view not an installer option, but one for that virtual machine?

I'm using a DIY IDE for my classes for multiple reasons, and not that one is better than the other (this always depends on the view point). I use a DIY Eclipse mainly because I need the standard GNU ARM Embedded toolchain and libraries, as they are smaller/need less RAM. It is possible to make that change in KDS (see Switching ARM GNU Tool Chain and Libraries in Kinetis Design Studio | MCU on Eclipse), but this is a manual process. Additionally I need other tools like Eclox, eGit and register detail view (EmbSys Registers View with CMSIS-SVD dimElementGroup | MCU on Eclipse) integrated. So instead patching an existing KDS, it is easier to construct my own IDE and tools. In my view this is the benefit of using (mostly) open source tools: you have control over it :-).

But to your original point: XP is pretty much dead. Better you switch to Windows 7 (this is what I use most of my time), or maybe even better use a Linux like Ubuntu. Using XP and/or virtual machines is not something sustainable in my view. It could be that Kepler runs on XP, but I cannot confirm this as I do not have any XP machines available any more.

Good luck!

Erich

0 Kudos
fzamora
Contributor I

Hi Erich, thanks again for your reply and kindness.

I was referring to KDS application installer building process,  not the Win XP  installer on VM.  When the windows app installer is being created, enabling Enhanced UI option may solve the win XP KDS compatibility issue according to that forum post.  I use XP in my VM because it runs very smoothly on my MAC book Air (it starts in less than 13 seconds) and the one and only app currently not working  on it is, unfortunately, Freescale´s KDS.  We love the classics, don´t we (I believe your motorcycle is a classic, isn´t it?).  Anyway I recently installed Windows 7 in another VM and Mac (I used windows for years, but after knowing OSx and MACs I´m just trying to use Windows only when it´s absolutely necessary:  Proteus VSM, Mathcad prime, etc.) I tried KDS on it  with a K64F basic project, and worked fine, but I´m having problems with my own built eclipse kepler (debugging several FRDM boards, I´ve bult the IDE at least three times with different problems each time).  I still have a lot to learn about 32 bits ARM and Eclipse  IDE... I´m coming from Microchip 8 bits PIC micros and I´m missing the old fashioned way of designing firmware in assembler for resource limited mcu´s (please take a look to A poorman's oscilloscope to see what I mean!)

I can report that my built Eclipse Kepler for win32 and most of the plugins and tools  you recommend (win 32 versions when there is an option), run well on Win XP , although Liviu´s GNU ARM tools warn not supporting Win XP anymore.  I had trouble creating a PExpert project for this, but I´m not sure if it was because of WinXP or because my (lack of) Eclipse tuning knowledge. So this confirms that it should be possible to run KDS on  Win XP anyhow! :smileygrin:

Erich, any advise from your great experience on the best way to get familiar with the Eclipse´s huge set of settings (specially regarding debugging kinetis FRDM boards) is very welcome!

Best  regards from Bogota, Colombia!

Francisco

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The supported Windows host operating systems are Windows 7 and Windows 8. I believe you can run it on Vista too, but I cannot confirm this. Definitely Windows XP is not on the supported list, and no surprise to me that it does not work on Windows XP. Windows XP is simply too old. I recommend that you use a more recent operating system (Linux or Windows).

Erich

0 Kudos
youngcheolsong
Contributor II

Hello, Erich,

Thank you for your kindly explanation.

I'll try to use Windows 7.

BR/Song.

0 Kudos