How to successfully run dev_cdc_virtual_com_twrk65180m

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to successfully run dev_cdc_virtual_com_twrk65180m

mittymcdoogle
Contributor III

I am trying to set up my K65 tower board as a CDC USB device. I have been able to successfully run 'dev_cdc_virtual_com_frdmk64f' on my freedom board. Now I am trying to run 'dev_cdc_virtual_com_twrk65180m' on my tower board. After loading the program, I plug a USB cable into the board's microUSB slot (J15), but no device is recognized by the PC. I've checked my jumper settings according to the MQX Getting Started PDF (link is listed below). Although, the jumper settings in the MQX Getting Started PDF are written for a Revision C board whereas my board is Revision D.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/quick_ref_guide/FSL_MQX_getting_started.pdf?fsrc... (page 48)

What else can I try to get this example code working?

Thanks,

Mitty

Labels (1)
12 Replies

mittymcdoogle
Contributor III

Checking the schematic for my tower board, I found that the J15 microUSB data lines are connected to the Kinetis USB HS lines. The Kinetis USB FS lines can also be connected by changing the positions of the R189 and R190 resistors. Regardless, in usb_descriptors.h I changed

#define HIGH_SPEED (0)

to

#define HIGH_SPEED (1)

This seems to have fixed the problem. My computer now recognizes my Kinetis eval board as a USB CDC device.

gumpforrest
Contributor I

Hello!

when your MK65F device can be recgnized,I want to know:

1. whether your USB is connected to USB0(FS/LS) or USB1(HS/FS/LS)

2. whether your code micro define define  HIGH_SPEED is 1 or 0

Thank you!

0 Kudos

dinofarina
Contributor II

Hi Mitty,

I'm having the same issue on my TWR-K65 and have not been able to get my PC to recognize the module.  Did you swap the position of the R189 and R190 resistors in addition to changing the code defines?  Did you have to change any of the jumper settings on the module from their defaults?

Thanks,

-Dino

0 Kudos

mittymcdoogle
Contributor III

Hi Dino,

The only thing I remember changing is the code defines. I definitely didn't swap any resistor positions, but I may have altered the jumpers at some point from their default positions.

Good luck with it!

Mitty

0 Kudos

dinofarina
Contributor II

Hi Mitty,

Thanks for your reply.  I've recompiled the example with the SDK 1.3.0 and still no luck - regardless of the code defines and regardless of the example (I've tried the CDC and HID ones).  So, I'm thinking that I either have a hardware issue or an incorrect jumper setting somewhere.  Could you tell me your jumper settings?

Thanks,

-Dino

0 Kudos

martinmadron
Contributor II

Hello Darina,

you need to change from zero in descriptor.h.

#define  HIGH_SPEED                  (1)

Board is by default set to high speed.

Martin

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dino and Mitty,

Please download the KSDK_1.3 (http://www.freescale.com/KSDK) .

It has operational demo for TWR-K65F180M.  I saw that KSDK_1.2 didn't work as well but KSDK_1.3 did work.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

dinofarina
Contributor II

Hi David,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I've tried the new version of the SDK and still no luck.  The programs compile without any issues (at least none that I can see), so I'm wondering if I have a hardware issue or a jumper set incorrectly.  Could you let me know your jumper settings?

Thanks,

-Dino

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dino,

UPDATED Monday 4-Oct-2015

I re-tested and found out the previous picture was a setup for using external debugger hardware and wasn't for this specific request.  My apologizes for the mistake.

I tested as follows for default USB Device Full Speed virtual com:

1- using the KSDK_1.3 virtual_com demo from: C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.3.0\examples\twrk65f180m\demo_apps\usb\device\cdc\virtual_com\freertos\kds

2- First test was to use default example meaning using the Tower hardware of TWR-K65F180M+TWR-SER card.  I compiled the freertos library, usb device library, and the dev_cdc_vitrual_com_freertos_twrk65f180m demo.

3- Connected USB from PC to TWR-SER mini-USB connector and PC to TWR-K65F180M mini-USB debugger connector.

4- Used KDS to download and run the example (I have the PEMicro firmware loaded as my OpenSDA debugger firmware).

5- Using Putty to connect to the COM Port that enumerated as Freescale Virtual COM Port setting baud to 115200.

6- Start typing in Putty and see the echo reply.

I tested as follows for default USB Device High Speed virtual com:

1- using the KSDK_1.3 virtual_com demo from: C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.3.0\examples\twrk65f180m\demo_apps\usb\device\cdc\virtual_com\freertos\kds

2- Test by changing the demo usb_descriptor.h header as follows

#define HIGH_SPEED                      (1)//DES was (0)

then only use TWR-K65F180M.  I re-compiled the dev_cdc_vitrual_com_freertos_twrk65f180m demo.

3- Connected USB from PC to TWR-K65F180M micro-USB connector and PC to TWR-K65F180M mini-USB debugger connector.

4- Used KDS to download and run the example.

5- Using Putty to connect to the COM Port that enumerated as Freescale Virtual COM Port setting baud to 115200.

6- Start typing in Putty and see the echo reply.

See attached picture for jumper configurations.

Dino...is your TWR-K65F180M Rev D?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

dinofarina
Contributor II

Hi David,

Thanks so much for sending me the pic of the jumpers.  I, too, am operating in a "solo" environment.  Unfortunately, still no luck for my setup.  I did swap the orientation of the R189 and R190 resistors, and think that this may be part of the problem.  I think I'll switch those resistors back to their original config and try again.

Thanks again!

-Dino

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Mitty,

On frdmk64 board, which pin do you plug the USB ?

On TWR-K65 board , could you test the J7 .

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos

mittymcdoogle
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

On the frdmk64 board, I'm using J22 - 'K64 USB'

On  the TWR-K65 board, I have tested J7 with no luck.

Thanks,

Mitty

0 Kudos