How to enable KL17z PEx support in Kinetis Design Studio 3.2.0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable KL17z PEx support in Kinetis Design Studio 3.2.0?

Jump to solution
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

Hello there!

I'm new to ARM/Kinetis/KDS and actually having difficulties to add support for KL1x (KL17), uC in Processor Expert:

- I have installed KDS 3.2.0 straight from the installation file (no updates).

- I try creating a new Processor Expert Project but KL17 is not listed among options (just KL14Z, KL15Z & KL16Z are available)

- I browse Processor Expert Software, Microcontroller Driver |NXP And page says that Kinetis L series is supported.

- I click DOWNLOAD button and in the opening page:

- I dont need installing "PEx-KINETIS-v3.0-PLUGIN-ECLIPSE_3.7-4.3 (REV 3.0.0)", it's already installed when I installed          KDS, that's right?

- In "Updates and Patches" I download "Processor Expert® for Kinetis® v3.0.2 update (REV 3.0.2)"

- Now I'm bit confused about versions: I see the plugin 3.7-4.3 (REV 3.0.0) - although i didn't installed it - but a update          v3.0.2 (REV 3.0.2). Anyway:

- In KDS under Help->Install New Software->Add->Archive *select the downloaded update zip* (PEx_for_Kinetis_3.0.2.zip).

- The package show in the windows I can select it but "Next" is grayed out. See picture below. I tried restarting KDS. It    works for other packages from the default internet links.

What is the correct procedure to have KL17 support in KDS PEx?

PicPaste - screen-AKqeiHKI.png 

Thanks!

Rodrigo

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rodrigo.

for KL17, KDS only supports processor expert with KSDK1.x.

see attached video.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rodrigo.

for KL17, KDS only supports processor expert with KSDK1.x.

see attached video.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

stevescott
Contributor II

I have the same problem. I cannot see the KL17Z processor in the list of processors:

pastedImage_1.png

How did you get the KL17Z to show up?

Here are the KDS installation details:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

Hi Steve,

Do the following:

1- Go to Welcome to Kinetis Expert | Kinetis Expert click "Build an SDK"

2- Create the device "MKL17Z256xxx4". In the dropdown menus under "Your custom version of the Kinetis SDK is now       ready to be packaged! Click the button below to complete the process" part choose "SDK Version = 1.3" & "Supported       toolchain(s) = Kinetis Design Studio", change the field "Package name" to "SDK_1.3_MKL17Z256xxx4" and finally "Build       SDK Package".

3- Once the package becomes available under "Software Vault", download it, create a folder and extract all files.

4- Open Design Studio and go to Help->Install New Software. Click "Add"->Archive, then browse to the file under the folder you extracted the SDK files:"YourSDKFolder\tools\eclipse_update\KSDK_1.3.0_MKL17Z256xxx4_1.0.0_Eclipse_update.zip"

5- Mark the checkbox with the update, click Next/Finish/Install

You should be done after doing this.

OBS:

- SDK 2.0 is the current development kit (although I'm new also and I'm not even sure). It's advisable you stick with 2.0 if          possible. There's lot's of changes from 1.3 -> 2.0    and lot's of improvements in the API. No Processor Expert in 2.0          thought.

- MCUXpresso SDK is the most new SDK but I dont have a clue how it relates to SDK 2.0 (e.g. if it comes to substitute          SDK 2.0 or just a concurrent SDK).

stevescott
Contributor II

Rogrigo - thank you very much. That was the most helpful reply I've ever received!

I had already figured out how to generate the SDK package, but didn't realize I had to install it in KDS. Is the installation procedure documented somewhere? I have a feeling I've overlooked reading some bit of documentation that is really important...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

No problem Steve! I'm glad I could help.

Actually it's covered in a not very clear manner, because the doc is outdated already: http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KDSUG.pdf in "4.2 Installing Kinetis SDK into KDS" explains this procedure.

It's not covered in the guide:

- SDK isn't a self installing package anymore

- SDK 2.0 doesn't come with the ZIP eclipse update. That got me lost until Jennie answered my question.

- Not stated there you need that Eclipse update from SDK <= 1.3 to get support for Processor Expert in KDS3.2 for some    specific micros :smileyhappy:

Actualy, as nxp/arm newb my feeling is: stuff still keeps changing in a fast-fashion, but for good. By the other hand, documentation/support seems not following in the same pace. Having "thousands" of different devices, each one with own particularities doesn't help either. Same goes for community, scattered, fuzzy. For what I have researched this is a reality for now in the entire ARM world despite the vendor (at least for micros).

0 Kudos
rodrigon_hernan
Contributor III

Well, now I see it: PEx 3.0.2 is already installed so that's why I'm getting a greyed out "Next" right there.

But then, why KL17Z is not listed? I'm just out of luck with PEx for KL17Z for now? Any clue about how to get it going?

Thanks.

0 Kudos