Getting started with the KDS "Hello World" on OS X

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with the KDS "Hello World" on OS X

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I consider myself a competent embedded systems programmer with (long distant) experience with Eclipse, but a newcomer to the KDS environment.

I've recently taken on the task of developing for the FRDM-KL27Z (MKL27Z64xxx) using KDS v3 IDE with the  SDK_2.1_FRDM-KL27Z SDK.  

There's just one problem: as a Mac OS X user, I've not yet figured out how to compile, download, run and debug the "Hello World" example with just a USB cable.  I've seen suggestions that I can run OpenOCD on the Mac, but I haven't been able to stitch together enough context to configure the toolchains and make that work.

So: 

* Is it possible to drive a FRDM board from a Mac via USB?

* If so, can you provide me with a detailed recipe, or pointer to same?

* If not, will the SEGGER J-Link EDU work?  (And is there a detailed recipe for the SEGGER under OS X?)

Many thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

mr_max
Contributor IV

Yes that right. With external flash/debug tool like SEGGER Jlink it work on MacOs. But on my macbook it doesn't. I have post a topic on the community Jlink GDB server waiting for connection (KDS MacOS).

I still running Yosemite. What MacOS version are you running ?

0 Kudos

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

I'm running Mac OS Sierra (10.12.2) on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).  

KDS 3.2.0

J-Link edu 9.4 16-36.

They all seem to get along happily.

0 Kudos

mr_max
Contributor IV

Ok thanks. I also made it on an iMac running El Capitan. Going to try with macbook (retina 2013) again.

0 Kudos

robertpoor
Senior Contributor I

@Maxime:

Thanks for the warning.  I ended up buying a Segger J-Link, and I'm happy to report it works smoothly on my Mac -- no need for Windows emulation.

0 Kudos

mr_max
Contributor IV

Hi Robert,

I have experienced KDS on Mac. And it is awful ! Uploading a new OPEN SDA file to the bootloader just not work at all ! You need to do it from Windows. If you want to be away of problems, I suggest you to install KDS on a Windows virtual machine.

Good luck.

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Robert,

- Sorry i have not the Mac, While i think KDS can with KSDK demo can work well on it.

Please refer to the Quick start Guide update the OpenSDA firmware, first enter OpenSDA

Bootloader mode, then copy and paste the "14_OpenSDA_FRDM-KL27Z.bin" into it, Unplug the USB cable and plug it in again .

pastedImage_2.png

- Please pay attention , when you download KSDK, select the MAC OS version :

pastedImage_1.png

Hope it helps

ALice

0 Kudos