Anybody having issues with KDS 3.0 and OpenSDA?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody having issues with KDS 3.0 and OpenSDA?

orangeusa
Contributor III

I used to use it all the time FRDM_K64F (getting a jump on my firmware), then started using P&E, which works great on FRDM and also on my hardware.

Recently went back to the FRDM because I left the P&E Multilink Universal at home, and I make new OpenOCD (is this = OpenSDA?) anyway, the -f Kinetis.cfg is there, it goes through the motions and then crashes.I can (after fiddling with J8/J11/J25) can use the P&E on this board...

Am I missing something obvious here?

A flash of red on the console, then then the GNU License info...

"GNU gdb (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 7.6.0.20140731-cvs...."

On the debug screen the only active button is "Terminate".

Using P&E for now. This FRDM_K64F board has not changed since I got it working months ago.

I don't remember seeing an errata on this, and I doubt you would have broken the FRDM OpenSDA with KDS 3.0... lolz

EDIT: Note I have a stock P&E - I don't have the OpenSDA firmware loaded onto it on purpose.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

OpenOCD is an open source and free-of-charge debugging solution. OpenSDAv2 is present on the FRDM-K64F board, and is based on the mbed bootloader and is open source. they are different.

User who works with KDS3.0 with FRDM-K64F can choose J-Link interface, P&E OpenSDA interface, or Mbed interface. For each of the option, user need update debugger firmware first.

I ever made document on this topic, please refer:

Summary of FRDM-K64F open source debug interface

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

orangeusa
Contributor III

I don' see this as ASSUMED ANSWERED...

LET ME ASK IN A SIMPLER WAY.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN KDS 2.0 AND KDS 3.0 that would cause OpenSDA debugging with a known good board NOT WORK? And I am able to use P&E.

I guess this will remain a mystery.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Scott,

you can go to C:\Freescale\KDS_3.0.0\doc\KDS_Release_Notes.pdf

to check what's new in KDS3.0 vs. old version.

one point is. on my side FRDM_K64F OpenSDA interface can work well on both KDS2.0 and KDS3.0 on my side.

I am not sure if your OpenSDA firmware on FRDM_K64F board is old or corrupt?

anyway, please follow the document i referred to update your OpenSDA firmware.

I just tested FRDM_K64F board with My KDS3.0 OpenSDA(using DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v108a_for_OpenSDA_v2.0), it  can work normal .

I suggest you try it too.

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

OpenOCD is not OpenSDA. OpenSDA is a firmware made by P&E (not open source), while OpenOCD is an open source debugger (www.openocd.org).

To use P&E OpenSDA, you need the P&E firmware on the K20 of your board.

To use the OpenOCD, you need the CMSIS-DAP firmware on the K20 of your board.

This is board specific, and not KDS specific.

OpenOCD support in v2.0 is the same as in v3.0. And I had no issues debugging the FRDM-K64F with OpenOCD, in both v2.0 and v3.0.

The difference is the ARM gdb (which is now the launchpad one), so this might cause something, I don't know.

Could you post a screenshot of what you see (including what you have as launch config), plus the gdb logs? Maybe I can see something.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos