I uses KDS 3.0.0, KSDK 1.2.0, and Windows 10.
After I updated KDS 3.0.0 by "check for update", the updated KDS can not connect to J-link. KDS popped up an connection error with J-link.
When I re-installed KDS 3.0.0, it works with J-Link.
At that time, I updated as following:
- Component Development Environment
- Component Development Environment Documentation
- GNU ARM C/C++ Cross Compiler
- GNU ARM C/C++ J-Link Debugging
- GNU ARM C/C++ OpenOCD Debugging
- GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support
Attached is a picture of an update list.
I believe the issue comes from the J-Link probe itself. Do you know what firmware version is on your J-Link?
If it is this, it should ask you to update the firmware on the probe.
If not: you might need to update the firmware with the jlinkconfig executable (it is part of the J-Link package).
I hope this helps,
Well, I downloaded the .deb package and then typed `dpkg -i` to install it. Not sure what other ways there are to install it.
As for the J-Link firmware version, like I said, I'm not using a standalone J-Link. I have a FRDM-K22F loaded with JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1_2015-10-13.bin. Do you think that firmware version could pose a problem?
Eric, thanks for your help anyway.
For what it's worth, I just installed KDS 3.2.0 on Mac OS X, plugged in the FRDM-K22F with the same JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1_2015-10-13.bin firmware, and got the same error:
J-Link GDB Server failed:
Unknown error. Please use J-Link software v4.96f or later.
For more details, see the JLinkGDBServerCL console.
This Mac never had KDS installed, so this isn't about leftover files.
Has anybody actually tested this configuration? Is this a supported combination?
On a more general note — I use Kinetis processors in my designs, but there is an increasingly troublesome "Kinetis tax". Every couple of months I'm spending considerable time updating KDS or its components, updating the KSDK, learning about the changes, reading the release notes, trying to follow the (sometimes strange) instructions on fixing problems, encountering problems like the one described above, searching the net for solutions, asking questions, detailing configurations, trying out various combinations of files and versions. This engineering time lost is beginning to be noticeable as a considerable cost of using the NXP/Freescale Kinetis line.
I just tried debugging FRDM K22F with mentioned Segger firmware on Mac 10.11.4 with clean installed KDS 3.2.0 and everything works fine. I tried project generated by NPW for KSDK 2.x. Could please specify your set up in more detail? Thank you.
That's intriguing — my Mac setup is fresh (just installed KDS for the first time ever, I used to work in Linux under VMware) and should be the default.
I use Mac OS 10.11.4, a freshly installed KDS 3.2, and a FRDM-K22F with JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1_2015-10-13.bin.
Here's what I get and the options I use (I haven't changed any, so these are what KDS 3.2 sets up as defaults in a newly created project):
It could be significant that I get exactly the same error message under Linux.
As another data point, I've just connected a FRDM-KL03Z and successfully ran a debug session using Segger/OpenSDA.
Not easily. But I did find a Windows machine, downloaded and installed KDS 3.2.0, connected the board, created a test project targeted for the FRDM-K22F (KSDK 1.x, because I didn't want to additionally go through the hoops of configuring and downloading KSDK) and tried running a program. The error message is different (error code 255), but the result is the same: can't debug FRDM-K22F using Segger/OpenSDA.
I hope you won't ask me for Windows screenshots…
Well, at least P&E mode seems to work. I can use that for now, but I'm worried that later on my real J-Link won't work with production boards. Segger support in KDS seems to be on the flaky side, this is not the first time I'm seeing these kinds of problems (apparently others do too).
I'm in a similar situation. I updated KDS to 3.2.0 (Linux), connected a FRDM-K22F loaded with JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1_2015-10-13.bin and launched the default Segger debug configuration. This is what I get: