Freemaster not working with Intrepid ValueCAN 4-2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freemaster not working with Intrepid ValueCAN 4-2

AG_92_Italy
Contributor I

Hello, could you please support me with the following topic?

We're trying to get a communication over CAN network between Freemaster (version 3.1.1.6) and an nxp board (S32K148EVB-Q176) through a ValueCAN 4-2 device from Intrepid Control Systems. Every time we put the flag_FMSTR equal to 1 (to enable the application messages) the program crashes, while this problem does not happen with Vector hardware. Is il possible to use the Intrepid hardware with Freemaster? Is there any particular option we have to set to get the communication?

Thank you very much in advance.

Andrea

0 Kudos
6 Replies

AG_92_Italy
Contributor I

Hi Michal,

This is a bad news, but we will stay tuned for future updates. In the meanwhile, please find below the information about the Intrepid device:

Plus, you can find below the links to download the latest ICS drivers and API:

Could you please keep me up-to-date about this topic?

Best Regards,

Andrea

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Andrea,

yes I will keep you up-to-date using this community thread. 

Can you give me your screenshot of the FreeMASTER plug-in configuration dialog when the "IntrepidCS" driver is selected? I'm interested in the version it prints. In my case, it is v901 (see picture below).

Also, can you display properties of the c:\Windows\SysWOW64\icsneo40.dll file and send me a screenshot of the Details tab? In my case, the DLL version is 3.9.1.31.

Also, please give me more information about the FreeMASTER crash. I don't know what is the flag_FMSTR that you reffer to - it is probably something specific to your target applicationI'm trying to understand if the crash occurs upon Initialization, Send or Receive action. Does the FreeMASTER crash immediatelly when you press the "Test Connection" button in the dialog? Can you try the following experiments?

• Determine if any CAN frame has been sent to a CAN bus after Test Connection is pressed (e.g. using an external CAN bus analyzer).
  • Press the Test Connection button when the target board is disconnected and see if a crash will occur.

Thank you,
Michal

My screenshots:

MichalH_0-1616498717139.png

MichalH_1-1616498815526.png

0 Kudos

AG_92_Italy
Contributor I

Hi Michal,

As you requested, please find attached the screenshots you asked me. I already tried to send messages over CAN using another software (in particual I test it with Vehicle Spy) and the messages have been transmitted correctly.

Next days I will try other tests based on what you suggested me.

Thank you very much,

Andrea

0 Kudos

AG_92_Italy
Contributor I

P.S: FreeMASTER does not crash when Test Connection is pressed but in a second when I change the variable flag_FMSTR=1 (that is a switch - 0 or 1 - to enable or disable application messages). When I press Test Connection everything works correctly, and FreeMASTER recognizes the ValueCAN 4-2. I can also load a .elf file without problems. 

Andrea

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for your cooperation.

I would need to know more information about what you mean by Application Commands and what does the flag_FMSTR variable do in your application. 

Are you referring to FreeMASTER Application Commands? These commands can only be created and sent from FreeMASTER manually (or by a script, which I do not think is your case). So I do not understand how can enabling the commands procesing in your target application relate to the FreeMASTER crash. I would perhaps understand the crash when you would actually send the command, but not when you just modify a single variable.

Related questions:

• Are you able to change any other variables in FreeMASTER?
  • Does the Oscilloscope and Recorder features work?

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Andrea,

most likely the Intrepid CS has made an incompatible change in the Windows interface library which now makes the FreeMASTER to crash when ValueCAN is accessed. Unfortunately, nobody from our team has any Intrepid device anymore, so we cannot repeat and fix the issue at this moment.

We will try to acquire the device and fix the issue, however this may take long time. I would recommend to use Vector XL, Kvaser, Viewtool/Ginkgo or Peak System probe until we fix this issue. These probes were updated recently so we can guarantee their correct operation.

In the meanwhile, can you please send me more information about your ValueCAN interface: exact model number, driver version, Vehicle Spy version etc.? Thank you.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,
Michal

0 Kudos