Did you mean: 

FreeMASTER 3.1 and USB TAP not working - 0x84b30004

droberson
Contributor I

Hardware Information

Part No: WCT-5W1COILTX

Underlying MCU: MWCT1000

Debugger: USB TAP     (CWH-UTP-ONCE-HE)

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nxp-usa-inc/CWH-UTP-ONCE-HE/1790899?s=N4IgTCBcDaIMIHUASBa...

Software Information

Code Warrior: Version 11.1, Build Id:181224

FreeMASTER: Version 3.1.4.5

Software running on WCT-5W1COILTX: WCT1000_A11_V3.3

Hello,

I am following the WCT1000 A11 Reference Design System User’s Guide (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/WCT1000SYSUG.pdf) , section 6.2.4 Using the FreeMASTER GUI for calibrationto configure and connect FreeMASTER to the WCT-5W1COILTX evaluation kit. However, I can't seem to connect. I am using the FreeMASTER project file located at WCT1000_A11_V3.3\example\WCT_A11.pmp with the following project configuration:

droberson_0-1654211204670.png

When I try to connect, this is the error I receive:

droberson_1-1654211265036.png

Note that I am running the project in its default configuration as received from NXP. The only thing I have changed is the following:

#define LOW_POWER_MODE_SUPPORTED FALSE

The following #defines are already set in the project (default values) but copied below for reference:

/* WCT1xxx only: JTAG communication */
#define FMSTR_USE_JTAG 1 /* wct1000: use JTAG interface */
#define FMSTR_USE_JTAG_TXFIX 1 /* wct1000: use SW workaround for JTAG TDF bug */

//----------------------- FreeMASTER Support -------------------------
#define FREEMASTER_SUPPORTED TRUE

Also, I am able to use Code Warrior to program and debug the board without issue using the USB TAP, so I know the debugger hardware is working and connected properly per the user guide linked above.

Here is the full FreeMASTER log:

[19:32:21.747] OpenPort 
  [+4.800 us] plugin connect string:EONCE;addr=localhost;core=56F8xxx
  [+21.600 us] OpenPlugin() done [ERROR code=0x84b30004]
  [+0.564 sec] done [ERROR code=0x84b30004;]
[19:32:22.311] ClosePort done [OK code=0]

Can someone provide some insight into why the connection may be failing?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
17 Replies

droberson
Contributor I

@MichalH Any update?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Derek,

we plan to test/fix the FreeMASTER with USB-TAP device during the next week. I will keep you updated.

Your other question related to WCT device is not related to FreeMASTER so it is out of scope of this forum. I have reached out to the wireless charging team internally - they should be able to reply here soon.

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,

the BDM JTAG/EOnCE plug is supports the P&E Micro Universal and P&E Micro Universal FX interfaces only. Please use this interface if possible. It is more convenient than using USB-TAP with FreeMASTER. 

The USB-TAP device needs to be accessed over a local CCS service installed in "c:\Freescale\CW MCU v11.1\MCU\ccs\bin\ccs.exe". This service starts automatically when a debugger session is started. It runs almost invisible in bottom-right system tray area - as this icon:

MichalH_0-1654236939115.png

Steps to connect:

• Run a normal CW debugger session
  • Notice the ccs server has started.
  • Click the system tray icon with the right mouse button and select "Show Console"
  • In the console, go to menu File / Save configuration - save to any file. This is a USB-TAP setup needed for DSC connection.
  • Finish the debugger session - the ccs server closes (it can be configured to leave running).
  • If not running, start the ccs.exe manually
  • Open console and load the DSC configuration file previously saved.
  • Start the FreeMASTER and select CodeWarrior-CCS JTAG/EOnCE plug in
  • Configure it for the localhost connection and try to connect with FreeMASTER.

MichalH_1-1654237245654.png

The FreeMASTER is not commonly tested with USB-TAP device. Use of P&E Micro is the recommended option. Please let me know if you have any issues when connecting. 

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey Michal,

Thanks for the info! I am still receiving the same error after performing the steps you indicated with the USB-TAP:

droberson_0-1654278736014.png

I followed your steps to establish a debug connection in Code Warrior 11, saved the config, closed code warrior, manually ran ccs.exe, and loaded the config. Here are a few screenshots of the output and my FreeMaster configuration.

ccs.exe running with saved config:

droberson_1-1654278812376.png

FreeMASTER configuration per your screenshot:

droberson_2-1654278848571.png

A few questions/comments:

1. If the USB-TAP debugger is not regularly tested and I presume being phased out, then why are NXP and distributors still selling it? Seems like the documentation for these wireless charging products should be updated to reflect this.

2. I noticed that my FreeMASTER plug-in module selection is slightly different from your screenshot. Your screenshot shows "FreeMASTER CodeWarrior-CCS JTAG/OnCE Communication...". The closest one available in my FreeMASTER 3.1 installation is "FreeMASTER JTAG/EOnCE Communication...". Is there any difference between the two and why does my FreeMASTER plugin name differ from yours?

3. Since we need to run charging calibration in our final design of our custom board, we plan to use UART for communication with FreeMASTER. Can I reconfigure this project (WCT1000_A11_V3.3) to use UART to communicate with FreeMASTER? If so, how do I do this? It looks like QSCI0 is brought out to TP40 and TP41 on the Debug Board.

Edit. I figured this one out myself and got it working. Providing what I found worked for others to reference. Set the following:

#define FMSTR_USE_SCI 1

#define FMSTR_USE_JTAG 0

You can then use TP40 (TX from MWCT1000 to PC) and TP41 (RX to MWCT1000 from PC) on the Debug Board along with a USB-TTL cable. Then configure FreeMASTER as the following:

droberson_0-1654296143644.png

4. It appears that the FreeMASTER UART protocol is different from the UART command protocol I was told to use to read charging status information from the MWCT1000.

Example FreeMASTER UART command: 0x2B XX XX XX XX XX XX

Example UART command to "Read TX charging status": 0xFA XX XX XX

XX = Redacted information

The charging library UART protocol uses 0xFA as its SYNC byte (0xFA: for Master to Tx single command, and sync response from Tx to Master), whereas FreeMASTER uses 0x2B as defined by FMSTR_SOB in the code.

Question: How do I enable the wireless charging library API access via UART? I don't see the 0xFA sync byte protocol anywhere in the code or any hooks for such a protocol.

5. Maybe related to #4, is the WCT1000_A11_V3.3 code the same thing that comes preloaded on the MWCT1000 IC from the NXP factory? Asking to make sure I am using the correct code base example for production.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, about point 4, no related info about Example UART command to "Read TX charging status": 0xFA XX XX XX can be found in the MWCT1000 A11 demo code.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey @Kaifeng ,

So you are saying that the protocol I was provided is not available in the example code? If this is true, then is there different code for production? (See #5 in my list of questions).

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @droberson ,

The code I used was downloaded from this link: https://cache.nxp.com/downloads/en/operating-systems/WCT1000_A11_V3.3_OS.zip

Thanks.

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey @Kaifeng ,

That is the same code I am using. From question #5 above, is the code you linked the production code programmed into the MWCT1000 from the NXP factory?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @droberson,

The code in the above official link should be the same as the production code programmed into the MWCT1000 from the NXP factory.

Currently it is sure that "FreeMASTER UART command: 0x2B XX XX XX XX XX XX" can be found in the code, but "UART command to "Read TX charging status": 0xFA XX XX XX" can't be found in the code.

As we didn't find any UART command related code in it, could you please help to paste out the UART command related code if you have any new finding about it? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

@Kaifeng 

My intention is to read the charging status from a microcontroller, not FreeMASTER. The UART protocol I was told to use with the MWCT1000 is attached. Can you confirm whether or not this is the correct UART protocol for interfacing with an external microcontroller? I don't see this protocol in the code.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @droberson ,

The UART command protocol itself was a non-standard protocol, it tends to be a self-definition command realization. If you don't want to get info like charging status from FreeMASTER, you can also define a similar command protocol to satisfy your requirement with the uart part of MWCT1000 and the command protocol you attached as a reference, as long as the consistency of Master to Tx and Tx to Master is guaranteed. As the old platform is no longer maintained, it would be lack of follow-up support, maybe self re-definition is a better choice.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey @Kaifeng ,

Maybe I am misunderstanding your response, but the UART protocol I attached was not written by me. This is the protocol that was provided by Linda Baehr at NXP, which she received from her FAE contacts within NXP. I was told to use that protocol to communicate with the MWCT1000 from a microcontroller, implying that it already exists in the code. Can you confirm or deny that the protocol I attached does or does not exist in the MWCT1000 V3.3 source code linked above? If it does, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @droberson ,

I confirm that the UART command protocol you attached does not exist in the MWCT1000 V3.3 source code linked above.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey @Kaifeng,

Thanks for confirming. Can you point me to the UART protocol document that matches the V3.3 code? I assume this is a FreeMASTER UART protocol document.

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

droberson
Contributor I

Hey @Kaifeng ,

Any comment on the UART protocol document I attached in my previous post?

Thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos

Kaifeng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kaifeng_0-1654679472370.png

Hi, please note the diff marked in the red frame, I choose this plug-in mode with FreeMASTER 3.1.2.4, the USB TAP can work normally.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

One more note: The FreeMASTER 3.x installer does not contain the jtagpgi.dll which implements the CodeWarrior-CCS plug-in. This is intentional as the USB-TAP was not on the compatibility list for FreeMASTER v3.

If you install FreeMASTER 2.5, the jtagpgi.dll will be registered and will be usable also in FreeMASTER 3.x - as Kaifeng wrote.

Note: After installing FreeMASTER 2, all other plug-ins may be re-registered (stolen) from v3. So after version 2 is installed, please install the v3 again (or just run "c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.1\FreeMASTER\register.bat" as an administrator).

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos