Connecting to multiple FreeMASTER sessions on the same CAN bus and USB/CAN interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to multiple FreeMASTER sessions on the same CAN bus and USB/CAN interface

Cruse
Contributor I

Hi,

I have several controllers connected to the same CAN bus dedicated for FreeMASTER communication, with different CAN IDs each. The CAN bus is connected to a PC with a single ZLG USBCAN converter. Now I can establish a single session with a specific CAN ID, but when I want to connect to another MCU, a new PC host instance cannot recognize other inactive channels of ZLG USBCAN, even if a new converter is connected (4 channels in total).

Are there any possible solutions to access multiple FMSTR sessions with a single USB/CAN interface? Do I need converters from different vendors just for different debug instances?

The following screenshot is the second FreeMASTER instance with the first one already running on CAN bus.

Weixin Screenshot_20240416233227.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,

I have just tested your scenario with ZLG USBCAN-2E-U and I confirm the behavior is the same on my side. Apparently, the ZLG driver does not allow the USB device to be open in two separate Windows processes. Both channels can only operate if used by one process and this is not the case for two FreeMASTERs. Can you test multiple ZLG devices?

It really depends on USB-CAN device and driver if such setup would be usable. In past we were testing a similar setup with Viewtool Ginkgo USB-CAN Interface and it was working well. 

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos