Can it be used as Testing tool for Black box testing where we are not making changes in code ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can it be used as Testing tool for Black box testing where we are not making changes in code ?

vaibhav_bait999
Contributor I

I work in automotive domain. We want to use freeMaster as testing tool for black box testing. Where inputs and outputs are

Inputs    : Hardwired pin signals to controller , CAN or LIN signals

Outputs : Hardwired pin signals to controller , CAN or LIN signals

We also want fault insertion scenarios as well. Where 

1. we will send one input

2. Based on output , we will insert fault at specified time and watch another input.

How freeMaster can be used in these cases ?

Is there any other devices or tools needed along with freeMaster ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi vaibhav.bait999@gmail.com‌,

Let me first clarify the scope of the FreeMASTER tool, to check whether it fits your use-case: FreeMASTER's base functionality consists of monitoring and controlling embedded application variables by manipulating target memory, it does not go as low as simulating hardware inputs/outputs (for this one you'd use a dedicated software such as CAN analyzer).

• Can FreeMASTER monitor inputs/outputs ?
    •   Yes, in case the embedded application stores those values in dedicated variables. Also, the embedded application should continuously update those values (read inputs, write outputs).
  • Can FreeMASTER be used without code modifications ?
    • The only options that does not require code changes is to use a debug probe BDM/JTAG that grants direct access to target memory. In all other options (CAN/LIN/UART) you'd need to embed FreeMASTER driver (library) into the embedded application in order to enable the communication.

Hope this helps,

Iulian

0 Kudos