Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BDM Nexus2+ memory access does not work

Jump to solution
jobu
Contributor II

Dear all,

I try to use MPC5748G (silicon version 1N81M) with freemaster version 3.0.2.6 with option "BDM connection Nexus2+ memory access". I use PE micro Multilink Universal FX debugger. I can establish a proper connection to MPC5748G ("Test Connection" reports no problems). But all variables I'm watching returns 0. If I use option "background memory access" everything works as expected. 

Whats wrong here?

Regards

Jörg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
juan_see
Contributor III

Hi all, 

PEmicro has updated the Multilink FX firmware that addresses the issue. The latest firmware can be downloaded from the link below. It is the multilink_resources_install.exe which includes Firmware 11.09. You can also use the PEFirmwareConfig.exe utility from the install to update the Multilink FX firmware. 

https://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

View solution in original post

26 Replies
juan_see
Contributor III

Hi all, 

PEmicro has updated the Multilink FX firmware that addresses the issue. The latest firmware can be downloaded from the link below. It is the multilink_resources_install.exe which includes Firmware 11.09. You can also use the PEFirmwareConfig.exe utility from the install to update the Multilink FX firmware. 

https://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Juan,

I confirm the P&E Micro Multilink Universal FX firmware version 11.09 fixes the issue reported in this thread. Tested with MPC5748G.

The fixed firmware will also be included in the upcoming FreeMASTER release version 3.2.2.

Thank you,
Michal

0 Kudos
Enver
Contributor I

Dear Michal,

Did you solve this issue?

I have same problem.

Thanks in advance

Enver

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Enver,

unfortunately not. Do you use the same target MCU and P&E Micro probe?

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
Enver
Contributor I

Hello Michal,

I use MPC5775E-EVB board and Pemicro Universal Multilink-FX.

Best Regards.

Enver

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Enver, 

can you confirm you are using the latest FreeMASTER 3.1.3? Also, can you send me screenshots of your FreeMASTER - P&E plug-in Configuration dialog and a screenshot of a message which appears after pressing the Test Connection button in this dialog? 

Do you also see an automatic firmware update of the P&E Micro interface when connecting with FreeMASTER - like Jobu had reported before?

Are the other symptoms same as Jobu had seen? (connection is established well, but variables read as 0). When you use Background Memory Access (stops core), do the variable values appear correctly?

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos
Enver
Contributor I

Hello Michal,

I confirm that use lastest version:

Enver_0-1647585296186.pngEnver_1-1647585345636.pngEnver_2-1647585388730.png

I saw firmware update at first connection with MCU. Other times, I didn't see anytime after that. I guess firmware in multilink-fx is 10.81.

Use Nexus2+memory access,  connection established well, but read as 0 all variables and board doesnt gave any response from freemaster button or current demand. 

use Background Memory Access(stops core),connection established well,variable values are correct, but stops core is not avaible for our project(Electric Motor control).

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Enver

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Enver,

we were finally able to replicate the issue with the latest Multilink FX Rev.C. Older Multilink versions and also older Multilink FX versions seem to work well. Sometimes the clock is lowered to 100kHz - but from some reason this does not help with Rev.C.

We will try to reach out to P&E Micro for their assistance. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you,
Michal 

0 Kudos
Enver
Contributor I

Hello Michal,

Is there any update about this situation? 

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Enver,

thank you for your patience. The engineers in P&E Micro were finally able to repeat the issue on their side and they are analyzing it internally. We hope to get some more information from them soon.

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello, 

I'm sorry, there is no update so far. The issue is now being analyzed by P&E Micro.

Thank you,
Michal

0 Kudos
Enver
Contributor I

Hi Michal,

Is there any update for this issue? We didn't use Pemicro Multilink FX RevC. (Black one). As you know, we have a lot of problem such as flashing mcu on s32 IDE, real time debug etc. If Pemicro team won't solve this issue, we want to change this debugger with older ones (Blue one). Would you mind providing information about this issue and contact from Pemicro Team.

Thanks in Advance.

Enver

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Enver,

I have re-escalated this issue at P&E Micro and to their development team. I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you now. They confirmed the dev team is investigating the issue.

If you want to return/replace the Black RevC with the Blue ones, you can reach out to their sales contact and refer to this community thread. Also feel free to include myself (michal.hanak@nxp.com) in the email discussion with P&E.

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
jobu
Contributor II

Hello Michal,

I can't confirm that the older Multilink FX revisions are not affected. I have the issue with  Multilink FX revision B.

Regards

Jörg

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Jorg,

we have done one more experiment with this evaluation board, and runtime memory access works well over Nexus2+. Is it possible for you to try it with another Power MCU or a different P&E debug probe?

Also, you can try to re-install the FreeMASTER 3.0.2 just to make sure the P&E Micro BDM plug-in is registered properly. 

I'm sorry I have no better answer than "it works on our side"... but it is really the only one for now.

Best regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
jobu
Contributor II

Dear Michal,

strange that it works at your side...

Forgotten to mention that I'm using DEVKIT-MPC5748G revision B and Multilink Universal FX debugger revision B.

What I habe done in the meantime :

I have installed freemaster on a different computer with the same result with FX debugger: all I'm watching returns 0.

I have also tried OpenSDA connection on both machines but unfortunately also with the same negative result. 

Please give me the addresses of the values you have checked during your test. I will try the same on my side...

Regards

Jörg

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jorg,

let me jump into this thread. I used attached project for my test. It's empty default project, I just added global variable 'counter', which is incremented in endless loop.

I used USB Multilink Rev. A and Multilink Universal FX Rev. A. It's working with both versions on my side.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
jobu
Contributor II

Hello Lukas,

thanks for sharing your project. I have done basicly the same test at my side. Nevertheless I have tested with your project but also with same result: variable stays at 0.

If have encountered the following:

I update Multilink firmware with PEFirmwareConfig tool to usbmlfxufjtagens.1018 (should be latest version). 

If I connect to freemaster and test the connection to the targed the firmware is automatically updated from version 10.18 to 10.36.

freemaster2.JPG

But at the end of the update process 10.18 is shown as the new version.

freemaster3.JPG

I could not find a difference in firmware images comming from P&E update tool and the ones provided with freemaster installation. Why is the update started? Could there be somthing wrong with the firmware update? Can you see the same at your side?

The connection test shows this result:

freemaster.JPG

Is BDM version 0.0 correct?

Regards

Jörg

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Jörg, 

when testing on our side, Lukas also sees BDM version 0.0, so I believe this is correct. The set of P&E firmware files included in FreeMASTER 3.0.2 has been provided by our partners in P&E directly, so I believe it is correct too.

The reason why you see intermediate update to 10.36 is most likely the update of Multilink bootloader (usbmlfxufbootens), later followed by update to Qoriva/PX firmware usbmlfsufjagens to version 10.18.

Just to be sure, you may use the official P&E updater (PEFirmwareConfig.exe) and remove all firmware images from c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.0\FreeMASTER\plugins\bdm to prevent any further update. But I do not think this is going to help.

Is it possible for you to test a different Multilink device?

Thank you,

Michal 

0 Kudos
jobu
Contributor II

Hello Michal,

I removed firmware images but this doesn't change the result. I have installed freemaster version 2.5 on a different machine but also doesn't work. What I have encountered is if I use Nexus2+ and test the connection I can see that the values sometimes changing and also the values are different from the ones which were displayed with background memory access. So I think that's the prove that there is something wrong reading out the values from the 5748G. I have also done a check with freemaster communication log, communication is without failures.

Is it possible to lower the JTAG frequency (via connect string?) just to do some further tests?

Unfortunately I don't have a second Multilink and no other board o give it a try.

Regards

Jörg

0 Kudos