Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one UWB anchor with many tags

Jump to solution
RG30
Contributor I

Hi

Can one UWB anchor detect range and AOA of many tags simultaneously?

If so , how many tags one anchor can support? In what rate?

Thank You 

Roman

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Low_Orbit
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Roman,

A Ranging session is a configured ranging sequence with up to 12 partner devices. In total 13 devices can take part in one session. The session executes a ranging sequence, consisting of multiple ranging messages dependent on ranging mode.

The ranging rate is limited by the number of messages in the ranging sequence. Using TW-DSR we can achieve above 40 Hertz with 5 devices (4 Tags and 1 Anchor). More message = Lower Rate

The NXP Trimension SR150/SR040 supports 5 active sessions.

1. In theory an UWB device can range with 12x5 (=60) devices (Tags and other Anchors)

2. Anchors and Tags differ only in naming and purpose, the UWB chip is identical (either SR040 or SR150).

3. yes if they Range at the same time, then interference might be an issue. This can be mitigated by using multiple channels (5, 6, 8, 9).  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Goodlet
Contributor I

Hi, @Low_Orbit 
Thanks for your response very helpful from my side. 
I do have the SR150/SR040 for experiments (academic purposes) I am stuck on how to use new smart devices with in-built UWB functionalities as tags: My goal is to have multiple users but I only have 2 tags that came with the kit.

How do I go by this..? 

0 Kudos
Low_Orbit
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Roman,

If you are using Time difference of Arrival(TDOA) then multiple anchors can do ranging and AoA with hundreds of Tags simultaneously.

If you are using Two way double-sided ranging (TW-DSR) then the NXP Trimension SR150 allows for 5 ranging sessions with a maximum of 12 devices. (Distance and AoA)

I hope that answers your question.

0 Kudos
RG30
Contributor I

"If you are using Two way double-sided ranging (TW-DSR) then the NXP Trimension SR150 allows for 5 ranging sessions with a maximum of 12 devices. (Distance and AoA)"

Hi

thank you for the answers. 

I'm interested in the TW-DSR ranging and AoA

Can you please clarify, when you say "5 ranging sessions" you mean 5HZ of sampling rate of one anchor or 5 anchors working in proximity?

When you say 12 devices , you mean 12 tags with one anchor?

1.I'm trying to understand how many tags one anchor can work with ?

2.How many  anchors one tag can work with?

3. Is there a interference between anchors that work close to each other?

0 Kudos
Low_Orbit
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Roman,

A Ranging session is a configured ranging sequence with up to 12 partner devices. In total 13 devices can take part in one session. The session executes a ranging sequence, consisting of multiple ranging messages dependent on ranging mode.

The ranging rate is limited by the number of messages in the ranging sequence. Using TW-DSR we can achieve above 40 Hertz with 5 devices (4 Tags and 1 Anchor). More message = Lower Rate

The NXP Trimension SR150/SR040 supports 5 active sessions.

1. In theory an UWB device can range with 12x5 (=60) devices (Tags and other Anchors)

2. Anchors and Tags differ only in naming and purpose, the UWB chip is identical (either SR040 or SR150).

3. yes if they Range at the same time, then interference might be an issue. This can be mitigated by using multiple channels (5, 6, 8, 9).  

RG30
Contributor I

ok , thank you

0 Kudos