cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5485EVB and USB

schiller
Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the USB working on my M5485EVB development board. I use the ltib with Linux 2.6.25 (latest release I think).

I have enabled the OHCI driver (EHCI for USB 2.0 make the Linux kernel blocking...). With this driver, the kernel is able to recognize that a USB key has been plugged. After that I get these messagee : 

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -62

I've tried to debug but I didn't really see where the problem was...

Is there something special to do to get the USB working on this board?

I found this on the Internet : http://support.logicpd.com/support/faq/faq.php?faq_id=198. Does it explain my problem?

I've also tried to use the "OnBoard" USB (the one with the small USB connector) but it seems there is no power coming from this connector... Somebody here has already managed to get the OnBoard USB working?

Thanks for your reply.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

schiller
Contributor III

wow wow...

I still need explanation about the USB!

For a new project, I have to use a MCF5484. Since the hardware is not ready yet, I use the MCF5485EVB devboard.

I have to valid the USB part.

I tried to use it with an old MCF5485EVB without success. I read that the USB part may be bugged with old MCF5485EVB so I bought a new one! 

Today I'm working on this new board and I still have problem with the USB part.

So my questions are :

- Can I use the USB part with a MCF5485EVB board (from LogicPD) and Linux ? If not, why USB connectors are available on the devboard ?

- Shall I be able to use the USB with a 5484 processor ?

- If not, is there a solution (external USB chip) to get USB support on this board ?

Any help would be very appreciated!

0 Kudos

jkmahan
Contributor III

If I understand your posting(s) you are asking two questions:

* how to use the USB on the LogicPD 548x eval boards:

This is not possible.  The system clock freq on the 548x boards doesn't work with the ISP1561(?).  The USB ports are on the baseboard still (since you could use a different fireengine board).  The 5475 EVB does work due to the clock freq.

There is a second problem with the onboard power supply layout and PCI.  So the USB chip (which is attached via the PCI bus) has problems -- it'll appear to be working great and then take a bunch of errors.  This is is a design problem on the eval board.  In the 2008(?) BSP this is described in the Release Notes.

* using the internal USB core integrated in the 547x/548x chips:

Due to problems with the silicon the usb core on these chips doesn't work -- I think there is an errata describing this.

Full disclosure: I used to be a freescale employee -- I did the Coldfire V4 Linux BSPs.  But that was a while ago and I'm going from memory.

--Kurt

0 Kudos

bastian_schick
Contributor IV

jkmahan wrote:

* using the internal USB core integrated in the 547x/548x chips:

Due to problems with the silicon the usb core on these chips doesn't work -- I think there is an errata describing this.

I hope you are refering to the USB host part which is no longer described in the manual. Because I am just trying to implement USB device for a 5475.

Full disclosure: I used to be a freescale employee -- I did the Coldfire V4 Linux BSPs.  But that was a while ago and I'm going from memory.

Does the BSP contain an USB device driver ?

-- 

42Bastian

0 Kudos

jkmahan
Contributor III
You should contact Freescale Support to discuss this.
0 Kudos

bastian_schick
Contributor IV

Meanwhile I come past the enumeration. But the documentation is really a mess.

Why can't FSL provide ready-to-run Chip-Support-Packages like e.g. Luminary(now TI) or STM ?!

0 Kudos

jkmahan
Contributor III

Please read errata issue #34 for the 5475/5485 processor family.

0 Kudos

bastian_schick
Contributor IV

Thanks for the reminder. I just hope that "under some conditions" does not apply to often to my project.

Luckily I need USBD only for firmware updates _and_ I run XMODEM over CDC (with a UART fall back),

so I hope that I can live with the broken USBD.

0 Kudos

fsl_linux_spt
Contributor III

The 5485EVB does not support usb.  USB only works on the 5475.  The 5485 frequency is not compatible with the usb chip.

0 Kudos

schiller
Contributor III

Hi,

no ideas/comments about this problem ?

0 Kudos