M5485EVB (Linux 2.6.25) sysfs: duplicate filename 'physmap-flash.0' can not be created

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5485EVB (Linux 2.6.25) sysfs: duplicate filename 'physmap-flash.0' can not be created

Jump to solution
jkimble
Contributor III

This is really an annoying message and it dumps a bunch of garbage as the system is booting up. Caused me a lot of confusion in getting my flash file system set up and working. My command line arguments first set up the "physmap-flash.0" then something else tries again. I also seem to have redundant physmap-flash entries in the /sys file system.

I do have flash working but this message will not go away and I've not been able to find it's source. Any help or suggestions would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jkimble
Contributor III
I resolved the issue. The problem was that in the 2.6.25 kernel for the MCF5485 platform_device_register() is called twice for the flash device. Once in the /arch/m68k/coldfire/mcf5485-devices.c and once in /drivers/mtd/map/physmap.c. The call in physmap.c causes the error because it doesn't have the right resource allocation and it's a duplicate to the call in the devices file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fsl_linux_spt
Contributor III

Are you using the EVB board and bsp or a custom boar?  Have you changed the kernel configuration?  Check to make sure you arent enabling both compat physmap support and explicit physmap support.

If you cannot see what that you should do a service request and include the kernel config file and console messages showing uboot coming up on the board and the boot messages from the kernel.

- Coray

0 Kudos
jkimble
Contributor III
I resolved the issue. The problem was that in the 2.6.25 kernel for the MCF5485 platform_device_register() is called twice for the flash device. Once in the /arch/m68k/coldfire/mcf5485-devices.c and once in /drivers/mtd/map/physmap.c. The call in physmap.c causes the error because it doesn't have the right resource allocation and it's a duplicate to the call in the devices file.
0 Kudos